Summer time all files are older now.... are they?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Summer time all files are older now.... are they?

Post by WimdeLange »

Time to whip up this problem again. I've scanned several discussions but could not locate a good answer on it.
I have a file which is created on the network (Windows server) on 21 Oct. 14:38:10. If I use xplorer2 to find this file and it shows up as 13:38:10. But if I use the explorer (Windows 7 Prof 64 bits) it shows up as 14:38:10.

Why is xplorer2 showing a different timestamp then Windows?
Both systems use NTFS.

Some extra information: If I change timezone's the timestamp changes in both explorer and xplorer2. But if the timezone supports daylight time savings, there is a difference of an hour (timezone Londen compared to Amsterdam compared to Baghdad (no daylight saving time).
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the short version of this discussion is that if the 1 hour difference is annoying you just sync-touch the dates as explained here
www.zabkat.com/blog/28Oct07.htm
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

nikos wrote:the short version of this discussion is that if the 1 hour difference is annoying you just sync-touch the dates as explained here
www.zabkat.com/blog/28Oct07.htm
There are two important reasons why this would not work.
1) I don't have write rights on the server
2) There is no FAT involved. The filesystem is NTFS. On the fileserver and on my harddisk.

And this does not explain why the same file has different time stamps when inspected using Explorer or using xplorer2. And to make it more fun, it makes a difference if the timezone used on my laptop supports Daylight Saving time or not (GMT +0(london), GMT +1(amsterdam) and GMT +3(bagdad).
So my guess is that there is a NTFS flag in the file that says that DST is used and Windows corrects for it, but xplorere2 does not?

BTW, I think the article is a little bit wrong
nikos article wrote:Summer time is gone (metaphorically too) and we switched into daylight savings (DST) mode.
As far as I understood this (but hey, I live in the Netherlands, so I could misunderstood this), Summer time is DST. Winter time is the original time, no daylight saving mode.

Ah well, I have this problem as long as I use xplorer2 together with Novell (with FAT-alike attributes), but as we don't use Novell any more, I hoped that this problem was gone.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the latest explorer in win7 has added some complex rules to figure out the time adjustment, which wasn't disclosed to simple people like independent programmers :(

if it bothers you too much you can use the explorer date column and also use the same column to synchronize folders (see Ctrl+F9)
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Clear answer, thank you. I did indeed not check it on another environment then Win7. And it explains also why this strange behaviour on Windows site was not seen before.
Ok, I'll take a look at the date columns and decide if it bothers me. Thanks again.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

there have been some win7 DST patches within the past coupla months - I thought they only applied to Russia and/or the Central Asian StanStates.  Check MS Updates.

I think Vlad the Terrible decided not to do DST this year.  It makes the babushka's curtains fade but its lack makes them vote for Vlad ;)
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21