Vote on this Feature: Checkboxes to select files

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Would you like checkboxes for file selection?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 13

ProfCrazyHorse

Vote on this Feature: Checkboxes to select files

Post by ProfCrazyHorse »

IMO, xplorer pro and lite are missing a small, but very useful feature:

the ability to select files by the use of checkboxes (just like Windows Explorer).

Why is this feature so useful?
I like single-click activation.  But when this is turned on in xplorer, I must remember to use the middle-mouse button to do my selections.  Easy to forget.  Also, the middle-mouse button is sometimes unreliable. (on my laptop mouse, it rarely works).  With checkboxes, you can select using the checkboxes.  Much easier.

The feature should, of course, be optional for those who don't want it, and set in preferences.

Do you agree?  What say you?
DougalScott
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DougalScott »

Is there something wrong with ctrl+click?
ProfCrazyHorse

Post by ProfCrazyHorse »

Ctrl-click is helpful, but still requires use of the keyboard, where checkboxes would allow you to avoid the keyboard move.  And if you looking thru files to select, it might be easy to forget to hold the ctrl key (and then you've lost all your selections), whereas the checkbox is right next to the filename and so eliminates that error.

It seems to me that if the lowly Windows Explorer could provide this, along with many other "lesser" file managers out there, then our much loved and powerful xplorer could do the same.
rusty

Post by rusty »

I use the (mini) scrap window for that purpose more and more, just drag the files into it, this way I can even select files from different folders...
ProfCrazyHorse

Post by ProfCrazyHorse »

I can see how that would be useful.  Ironically, I've been holding off on buying the pro version until they implemented checkboxes...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

ProfCrazyHorse wrote:Ironically, I've been holding off on buying the pro version until they implemented checkboxes...
Whilst subtle hints and body language theoretically have an influence when dating, they are perhaps of less import in the virtual world - considering that in the last 10 years there appears to have been all of 3 threads on this subject (2 of them started by you, and that's not even counting the superfluous one on the "lite" forum), you may have a rather long "wait" on your hands just yet. :wink:

This is not to say it's not a valid request - no doubt as Windows 8 is largely nothing more than MS's way of trying to get in on the tablet market with their touchy-feely approach to everything, some applications may wish to adapt their listview-mechanics to checkboxes for simplicity's sake.  But, 3 threads in 10 years suggests the user-base has moved on without worrying too much about this explorer throwback.

And, just for the record, the Middle-Mouse-Button trope in x2 is not to be considered in any way "sometimes unreliable" - that says more about the quality of your mouse than anything else.

Don't get me wrong - you're right to bring up the idea (for what it's worth) - and as I always enjoy lost causes I would almost be tempted to vote for it.  Except, as democracy no longer exists in the world (as if it ever did), I don't enjoy the humour of illusion that comes from "voting", so I don't partake in it.  :shrug:  You might be stuck at 5-1 for awhile longer.  (And at 78-views and 6-votes, it appears no one else believes in democracy much either.)

All that being said, the GUI means by which Windows Explorer implements the checkbox approach in Win 7 (only appearing on the specific items selected, not any others) is rather amusing from a design perspective.  If ever (in a fit of retro-madness) Nikos did choose to add this, I doubt it would be in such a stylised manner.  (Yes, I know that's irrelevant, I just thought I'd mention it for the ergonomic freaks in the audience, for they are legion.)
ProfCrazyHorse

Post by ProfCrazyHorse »

Wow - it seems to have really struck a nerve in you.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

ProfCrazyHorse wrote:Wow - it seems to have really struck a nerve in you.
Yeah, I know that's not what you wanted to say (politeness is so impractical, isn't it?) - but I wasn't being rude, just pointing out (in a less-than-successfully-conveyed good-humour) that you may have a very long wait on your hands.  To be honest, I was surprised there were so few threads about it - one would assume that since it's been in Windows Explorer since time began, checkboxes would have more dedicated followers.  Perhaps a better poll would have been to ask if there was actually anyone who had ever used it to begin with?

Curiously (regarding your dislike of the keyboard), I might add that the general trend of user-requests in the last few years seem to have usually revolved around making things more keyboard-centric, rather than less-so.  (Personally, I love the Middle-Mouse-Click selection thing, though I am annoyed that other programmes don't implement it, so I keep getting caught out - ironically it is almost better to just learn to live with Ctrl-click when using single-click activate.)

Come to think of it, that's probably why there are no requests for this sort of thing - rather few people actually use single-click activation, and thus just wouldn't see the point in compensating for any troubles it causes.  Which is a pity, as single-click activation deserves a wider audience... as does, perhaps, the lowly checkbox itself.

(As this vies seriously close to navel gazing... :D)
DougalScott
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DougalScott »

Kilmatead wrote:(Personally, I love the Middle-Mouse-Click selection thing, though I am annoyed that other programmes don't implement it, so I keep getting caught out - ironically it is almost better to just learn to live with Ctrl-click when using single-click activate.)
Personally I have never been a fan of middle click selection mainly because the only middle button mice I have had have been wheeled mice, and their click was always too hard for quick multiple file selection. And now with W7, the middle click+wheel works well with document flip. Besides my non-mouse hand is never far from the keyboard and CTRL key. And after selecting I always need to use one of the CTRL/ALT/SHIFT key combinations with either C/V/X key or a mouse click and drag anyway. Given the power of X2 for keyboard users, I wonder how many X2 users regularly use other methods (middle click, right click and context menu, toolbar button) instead of the CTRL/ALT/SHIFT key combinations? The CTRL and ALT keys are always the shiniest (after space) on my keyboard.  :) And the CTRL/ALT/SHIFT click selection is just so consistent and ubiquitous in nearly all windows apps, from text box to word processor and graphics programs.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Iv'e not used the checkbox feature in Windows.  I would probably use it in x2.  I use the 'Sticky Select' toolbar button often (though that's partly because of the clever and beautiful hirez custom toolbar button on the kunkel321 x2 skin)
The current scheme is to highlight whichever items selected...   Sometimes my old eyes have a hard time distinguishing the highlights though.  Check-boxed might be less ambiguous.  The MiniScrap idea sounds good too.  I'm going to try that.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

kunkel321 wrote:Sometimes my old eyes have a hard time distinguishing the highlights though.
Isn't that what the "Disable some Vista Effects" setting is for?  You can't use the Aero interface, and then complain about it being Aero-esque!  :D

(And somebody's cat needs a diet.  Badly.  And he's/she's not as convinced of your cleverness as you are - as befits the attitude of a cat. :wink:)
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Well now that DOES make it more discernible.  And more importantly, it makes it look more like the image on my clever icon.  Thanks Kilmatead!

(p.s. The picture was actually when we showed him the nutritional information on the label of his kitty treats)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

ProfCrazyHorse wrote:Ctrl-click is helpful, but still requires use of the keyboard
x² is far less useful when ignoring its keyboard shortcuts. Someone should punch the Xerox guy who invented the mouse right in the face for that. Made IT companies make weird UI design decisions.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:Someone should punch the Xerox guy who invented the mouse right in the face for that. Made IT companies make weird UI design decisions.
That would be Douglas Engelbart - and considering that keyboards were designed in the first place to slow people down, the whole paradigm seems to be against you.  For singular tasks in file-management (select-and-go) the Mouse is perfectly fine - for others, perhaps a little less-so.

However, at a wild guess (based on no scientific evidence at all) one could assume 99 percent of computer users are just of the bored housewife variety, people who know nothing of file management or graphical design, or anything like that - they just want to click on a picture of the grandkids and they're anaesthetised for the day.   So, by that reasoning, if IT companies were making UI designs for 1% of the user-population (the "tech end") no wonder they got it wrong - they didn't start with grandma and work backwards, they started with misanthropic Joe-Geek and stopped there - in their parlance, "Granny can just use the old Apple that no one else wants".  And of course, Apple said, "Ok, we'll design for Granny - Joe Geek doesn't buy anything anyway".  Of course the irony of this is that Apple somehow managed to get the Mouse so spectacularly wrong by hobbling the hardware - not that everyone needs 11-button mice, but who'd think a scrollwheel would be so offensive design-wise?

Incidentally, Douglas Engelbart is still alive and getting free rent from Logitech (big surprise) in Fremont California, so you can actually go and punch him if you wish.  That would be fun to watch. :wink:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

So you want to come with me then?

Apple, wasn't that the company with the "who needs a right click menu" ideas?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012