Pane width isn't remembered

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

StephanJohn

Pane width isn't remembered

Post by StephanJohn »

Hi,

for a few weeks now my xplorer2 (lite) has trouble remembering the width of the panes after restarting:
I always have the tree and preview on the left and then the two panes in the middle and on the right. The width of the tree and preview I keep as small as possible. But when I shut down the program and restart it the width is about double the size I want it (~1/3 screen width). I've never had that problem before until recently.

Any explanations or solutions?

Stephan.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

does xplorer2 remember the size/position of the overall window or it also forgets that too? If your pane widths are too small perhaps they are automatically increased, i am not sure. How small is your small, can you post a snapshot?
StephanJohn

Post by StephanJohn »

Hi nikos,

thanks for the answer. I just tested whether the overall window size is remembered (normally I always have xplorer2 maximized): Everything was remembered correctly after restart with the not-maximized window!

I then maximized - restarted - everything correctly remembered! Maybe that was it?

I'll report if the problem occurs again. Nevertheless, here are two screenshots to illustrate my problem.

1. How I would like to have it:
http://www.staff.uni-oldenburg.de/st.he ... /right.png

2. How it looks when I start xplorer2:
http://www.staff.uni-oldenburg.de/st.he ... /wrong.png
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok that's not too small. If you see this problem again let me know. It may be associated with starting xplorer2 maximized (?)
chgoguy7

Post by chgoguy7 »

I'm having the same problem but with a twist. I have my 5 panes arranged just so and when I restart x2 during the same session of Windows, it retains all the pane widths/heights. However, once I reboot my machine and start x2, all the pane widths/heights are changes. This has only been occurring on both my desktop and laptop and only since upgrading to v2.0.

Additional info:
Save program state on exit is enabled. I initially had it set to registry but changed it to file in user appdata folder. This issue occurs with either the registry or file setting.
I use x2 only in maximized mode so I start it and close it in maximized mode.
I close x2 with alt-x or the upper-right X and have verified that the process closes completely each time, especially before restarting my PC/laptop.
I used to regularly export my settings and then when this issue would occur, I would re-import the settings to restore the pane widths/heights but now that I have settings saved in a file, I am not able to export my settings. So this issue is now extra irritating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you show me pictures of how xplorer2 looks like when you have it setup properly, and how it looks when things go bad?
chgoguy7

Post by chgoguy7 »

Hey Nikos,

The first image is the original pane layout and the second is how it is altered after I restart my PC. The panes started rearranging themselves like this after I upgraded from v1 to v2. In this example, only the horizontal dividers were changed but sometimes the vertical divider also changes. Thanks.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1975 ... itions.jpg

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4729 ... itions.jpg

==================================
Note from admin after replacing the large images with links, above:

Hey chgoguy7,
Please refrain from posting unnecessarily large images on the board.  It comes off as rude behavior for the majority of users who do not have the large screen size that you have.   For reference, 472 px wide will not expand the default post area width.  And a max of 800px wide will keep the whole bbs frame on-screen for most users.
Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok I'll have a look with this setup. Does this happen every time you restart xplorer2?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i tried this arrangement too, but didn't see any problems. As always something else must be causing the problem, e.g. what are these little icons on the xplorer2 window titlebar next to the standard windows buttons?
StephanJohn

Post by StephanJohn »

Just a short update on the status of my problem:

Most of the times xplorer2 starts correctly. Only about 1-2 times a month (like today) are the pane widths not remembered when starting xplorer2 after a fresh boot.

(Sorry, I don't have anything more systematic or reproducible :( )