Request: copy between panes when one pane is a zip file

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Paul_D

Request: copy between panes when one pane is a zip file

Post by Paul_D »

Would this be possible? I would like to be able to copy a standalone file in one pane directly into a zip file expanded in the other pane.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it is possible, just press F5
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Yeah, you can copy or move back and forth between a regular folder in one pane and an expanded zip file in the other pane... you cannot go from one expanded zip file directly to another expanded zip file though.
Paul_D

Post by Paul_D »

nikos wrote:it is possible, just press F5
That's what I thought, but it's not working for me. I get the dialog box, but when I click on the Copy button, nothing happens.

I can copy FROM a zip TO a folder, but I can't copy TO a zip FROM a folder.

Edit: The problem seems to be with the zip file, not xplorer2. I can't add files to zips I have made myself (I'm using 7z software), but other zips seem OK. I'll do some experimenting and let you know the outcome.
Paul_D

Post by Paul_D »

Nope. I have uninstalled 7-Zip, leaving me reliant on Windows (Vista) internal Zip software. The xplorer2 two pane copy still isn't working.

I have just noticed that I am getting a warning message in xplorer2 which says "The target folder does not accept this file operation".

I shall have to reinstall 7-Zip, as I now have no way whatsoever of adding files to an existing archive.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

What version of Windows are you using?

It works in Windows 7 for me but not in XP (in a VM).

Since this depends on the built-in Windows zip feature there is not much x2 can do about it.
Paul_D

Post by Paul_D »

Vista (see the post before yours).

I can't say for sure, but I reckon it used to work.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try drag drop instead of f5
Paul_D

Post by Paul_D »

nikos wrote:try drag drop instead of f5
Believe me, I've tried them all. F5, Drag & Drop, Ctrl+C~Ctrl+V, File>Copy~File>Paste. You name it, I've tried it.

Here's a twist. If I just make a compressed (zip) folder out of a number of files, I can't use xplorer2 to add more files to it. If however I put the files I want to zip into a normal folder, then send THAT FOLDER to a zip folder, I can then use xplorer2 to add files to the folder within the zip folder (Does that make sense?)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Could it be some kind of permissions problem?

Try running x2 as admin and see it you still have trouble.

I use 7-Zip to create zip files all the time and don't have any problems with them. I also use an old command line Info-Zip from GnuWin32 with no problems.
Paul_D

Post by Paul_D »

Run as admin - all behaviour exactly the same. My user has admin privileges, but I have just tried it using Run as Admin as well (which resulted in me losing all my bookmarks, by the way)

And over the last couple of days I have established that it doesn't matter whether the zips are created with 7-Zip or the native Windows zip function (with 7-Zip uninstalled)

And I've opened up security as much as my admittedly imperfect knowledge will allow.