How to make xplorer lose focus on last visited folder?

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

h_robert64

How to make xplorer lose focus on last visited folder?

Post by h_robert64 »

Using 2.0.0.3 [Ansi] LITE 11/10/2011

One problem always annoyed me with this file manager, and was not able to resolve. Hope someone knows an option or some other solution.

Here is the problem: Suppose I have a folder C:\A with many folders inside it.

And say I visit one of those folders, say C:\A\B

Then I leave that folder, go all the way back to the top using the 'parent' arrow. So now I am at C:\ again.

Now, when I go an open C:\A again, xplorer jumps the focus to the middle, where B is located, and I see that B is now selected automatically.

What I want, when I visit any folder, is to the see the same layout it was initially. Which is folders at the top, sorted by whatever sorting method I had, followed by files. And I do not want the focus to be on any item.

This way, when I visit a folder, I do not have to scroll each time back to the top.

Is there a way to tell this file manager not to remember which folder I visited last time, and always display an opened folder listing with focus if any at the top of the listing?

thanks,
Robert
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

that is a feature of x2 which I really like... I guess Nikos could add an option to disable it but really all you have to do is press home to get to the top or End to go to the bottom...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

...and (just to balance the books) this is an obligatory feature of x2 that I really hate - turning on Mark -> Sticky Selection will mitigate the automatic highlighting, though it doesn't remove the auto-focus and thus the auto-positioning.  (Never mind that Sticky Selection and Single-Click Activation is a recipe for pure evil, so don't even try that.)  :shrug:

Never much cared for Breadcrumbs or Cookie-Crumbs or even that crumb-like substance they put on Apple Tarts.  I also hated my nanny, so blame childhood trauma. :wink:
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2012 May 04, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
h_robert64

Post by h_robert64 »

"you have to do is press home to get to the top or End to go to the bottom"

What "home" key? How do you know my keyboard has key with "home" button on it? and what "END"?  what if I do not have these keys? Or may be I am using an ipad? either way, it does not make sense, from software engineering point of view, to couple functionality such as this to some keys with some names that can change from one day to another, and they could be bounded to different actions.

In addition, this means one has to hit a key each time they open a folder.

All what is needed is a simple option to setting called "do not remember last visited path" or such setting.

It is always better in software not to assume the end user wants to work in one way only, and given them the options to change the default via settings.