Enable multiple instances

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

epack

Enable multiple instances

Post by epack »

Xplorer2 lite v2.0.0.3. On my Windows 7 Pro machine, I'm able to click on my X2L icon as many times as I like, and I get multiple instances of the program, which is very handy. However, I just installed the current version on a friend's Windows 7 Pro machine, and she is unable to get multiple instances, it always opens the same instance she already has up. And yes, she is definitely clicking on the desktop icon, NOT on the taskbar that shows all open windows.

She also can't get the tool tips to go away, even tho she unclicks the option to make them stop. Each time she opens the product, they still show up.

I thought this was just a setting in options to make it allow multiple instances, but I'll be darned if I can find it. Like me, she is an admin on her own machine, so I'm not sure why these two things are happening for her.

Comments?

TIA

elaine
charlottesville, va
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

It's a start-up setting in your shortcut to x2.
See: Help > Quick start guide > Command Line Settings
where you can read
  • By default xplorer² runs in a system resource-friendly single process mode, even when you launch separate instances. Using /P you force new instances to open as separate processes.
epack

Post by epack »

fgagnon wrote:It's a start-up setting in your shortcut to x2.
See: Help > Quick start guide > Command Line Settings
where you can read
  • By default xplorer² runs in a system resource-friendly single process mode, even when you launch separate instances. Using /P you force new instances to open as separate processes.
Aha! That said, I just looked at the properties on my machine, and all I have there is /M, which forces it to a maximized window, I think. It still opens in multiple instances. I'll adjust my friend's instance, tho, and thanks!

Also, any thoughts on the startup messages not staying away even tho unchecked?

elaine
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

close all running xplorer2 instances with Alt+X
then open xplorer2, tick off the 'show tips every day' option, use Actions > Save settings now menu, then exit

that should make the change stick