Q: size.NE."<folder>" ... and larger icons?

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Qwert

Q: size.NE."<folder>" ... and larger icons?

Post by Qwert »

I've only recently become aware of xplorer2.  I'm am currently running Lite and find it to be nearly perfect for my uses except for these two shortfalls:

Can the icons and icon labels across the Tool Bar be made larger?  (without making all icons in Windows larger.  I already know that method and really dislike the results on my desktop.)

The size for each folder is displayed as "<folder>".  Can this text be modified to be blanks?  Or maybe "0" or dashes.  I just find it to be a real distraction with reading down a column of actual file sizes, which I do often.

If these can't be changed in Lite, can they be in other editions?

Thanks for listening.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

It appears larger toolbar icons are not available for the Lite version (they are in other versions).  However, the text size, and length of buttons may be adjusted within the Tools -> Advanced Options (external editor), and under "Layout" adjusting the Max Button Width/Toolbar Font Size Factor options.

The only way of removing the <Folder> label is to activate the Tools -> Options (Advanced Tab) -> Calculate Subfolder Size Automatically, which - oddly enough, does what it says on the tin.  It may require a restart of x2 to "kick-in" the first time.

Please try the free trial of Professional or Ultimate versions for any features which may be "greyed out" in the menus of the Lite version.  You may always reinstall and keep Lite if you're happy enough with that.
Qwert

Post by Qwert »

Thank you for those suggestions.  

Calc Subfolder Size does take care of subfolders, just like it says.  But top-level folders still say <folder>.  Maybe I'll submit that as a suggested option for a future version.

The Text Size Edit does take care of the main problem I had: Tool Bar Text Too Small when running on a large monitor (1680x1050).  I changed from 90% of normal to 120% and the labels are much better.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Qwert wrote:But top-level folders still say <folder>.
This is intentional, as otherwise you'd have a process grinding its way through your entire drive just because you browsed to the root (which would be silly, say, if it were the C:\ drive).  It has been suggested before, but the developer is a grumpy old fellow who doesn't seem to understand that contemporary hardware makes all such fears and limitations irrelevant.  :wink:

Hitting <Ctrl+D> twice will force the calculation when in roots, if you really need it.
Qwert

Post by Qwert »

Hitting <Ctrl+D> twice will force the calculation when in roots
Thanks for that, also.

It is amazingly fast ... only a few seconds ... on a fairly populated drive.  But, oddly, I had to interject another command (I used Alt+D) before I could use a second time.  But it does work.  And there are times when it's very useful information to have.

It's a good feature that speaks to how well xplorer2 is thought out.  My impression after a couple of weeks is that the number 1 "problem" with the software is figuring out what all the features are and which ones to use.

But that's a nice kind of problem to have.

Thanks again.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Qwert wrote:...the number 1 "problem" with the software is figuring out what all the features are and which ones to use.
As any file manager can be a source of benefit or pain, depending on how well you know what you're doing, aside from the usual "How Do I" stuff in the Help menu, when in doubt refer to the painfully supersized full PDF manual for a complete explanation of everything from how the Mayan Civilisation succumbed to the indifference of the Gods, to using Structured filesystem clips effectively.
Qwert

Post by Qwert »

Yes, that PDF was where I became awed by the options.  9 sections and 450 pages seems excessive — until one realizes the "wisdom of the ages" that it incorporates.

And I found the "applications that extend x2's functionality" to be very informative.  Kudos to the author!  (You?)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Qwert wrote:Kudos to the author!  (You?)
No, the author is longtime user Narayan.

They wouldn't let me contribute to it as I have a penchant for writing long superfluous colloquia and straying wildly into supposedly off-topic subjects like Mayan Gods and why Charlemagne should have thought a little more before accepting the reins of Rome and how those choices impact our file-management abilities today.

They never let poor Rudolph join in any Reindeer games either, and look how he turned out, so the powers that be tolerate my existence by allowing me out for an hour of sunlight and exercise a week, a little bread and water, and I get to have fun interjecting allegorical asides to everything else.  It keeps me out of trouble with the evil moneylenders in the temple. :D :cry: