FIXED > Cannot access Gmail drive in x2 lite

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

dreamkid

FIXED > Cannot access Gmail drive in x2 lite

Post by dreamkid »

Hi guys,

I can't access my gmail drive in x2, although it's perfect in Windows Explorer.

I'm getting a pop-up saying:

"An error occurred:Login Failed.
System Error Message:
Your IE browser's cookie functionality is turned off. Please turn it on. [?]"

It comes up twice then disappears.

Any ideas?

Cheers.
DK
dreamkid

FIXED - ish

Post by dreamkid »

Well, I just didn't look hard enough.

I have a Google Drive under my Windows profile area and that works fine.

I also have a 'Gmail drive' option installed for me under the > Computer section. This what does not work. I assume this was installed by Google at some point.

I'm happy to use the former, so don't worry about fixing this in the Computer section. Unless you want to.

See you here in another 8 years (!)

Cheers,
DK
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I've heard reports about google drive misbehaving but as I am not using the tool I cannot comment
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: FIXED - ish

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...but as I am not using the tool I cannot comment
Which is why Nikos finds it so hilarious that I volunteer to install all the flotsam and jetsam in this kind of self-immolating act of atonement and contrition in the name of... well... self-immolation, I guess. :D
dreamkid wrote:I also have a 'Gmail drive' option installed for me under the > Computer section. This what does not work. I assume this was installed by Google at some point.
This was actually created/installed by a 3rd-party shell extension (which is not supported by Google) - called (oddly enough) GMail Drive, and it has nothing to do with the "other" product "Google Drive", nor indeed, Google itself.  Essentially it's "just another" example of laughably bad coding rubbish that people download from those "purveyors of nonsense" sites such as CNet or FileHippo (or a hundred others) that people seem to like so much.  :shrug:

In any event, it will work in x2 Lite, but it basically requires resetting Internet Explorer to its factory settings, then freeing up cookies, possibly requiring a "cold" image-verification login (captcha) first by going to GMail directly and logging in there, then going back to the virtual drive, and jumping through a few other meaningless hoops.  Ironically enough, just Google "GMail Drive not working" and you'll encounter such a plethora of suggestions that you'll soon understand why even people without tragically broken-hearts leap off bridges into the dark waters of unrequited despair.  That said, the solutions found therein do work eventually - if you're utterly desperate to have yet another virtual network drive cluttering your drive's namespaces.

And, for the record, Google Drive seems to work fine in x2 (both x86 or x64), for those who are desperate for "Yet Another Dropbox Clone" from the Great Satan, Google. :wink: