blog: file safety part II

Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog entry found at:
www.zabkat.com/blog/04Feb07.htm
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RickyF »

I did not know that X2 had the backup capability. Good video.

Is it possible to save the backup configuration so that I can use it repetitively, perhaps even schedule it as a recurring task?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as a generic file manager, xplorer2 isn't too great in completely automated procedures, eg something you could just add to the windows scheduler. However, if you follow the "video" instructions and save the copy options that correspond to the backup, then the only thing you'd have to do once a week is point x2 to the source and backup folders, hit F5, select the saved options from the combo box (available from the "main" dialog) and off you go!

as simple as it gets i suppose in a non-automated fashion. The added benefit of course is that you can see what's happening every time to double check nothing's amiss
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RickyF »

Thanks.
jatclat

Re: blog: file safety part II

Post by jatclat »

I'm trying to work out whether the Robust Copy will suit me for my regular backups onto a USB drive. I'm telling the program to copy all the subfolders in 'My Documents' if they are newer. I'm impressed how quick the process is. However I always get 2 error messages of the Error 5 type referring to C:\[username]\Documents\Music (& ditto for Music & Pictures) saying they couldn't be copied. Yet neither xplorer2 nor Windows Explorer offers any suggestion that these folders are nested within 'Documents'.
After the log has displayed the errors it advises me that in future I should do advanced copying as Administrator. I've tried that but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Is there any documentation on what difference this makes?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: blog: file safety part II

Post by nikos »

there are a few things under "my documents" that are links and junctions to other folders. They should be copied ok nevertheless. What is your windows version?

personally, as many folders under "my documents" are of no concern, I created a subfolder called "mine" where I keep all my real stuff (and not settings/rubbish created by other programs). So I only have to backup "my documents\mine" folder