blog: digital certificates for software

Post by nikos »

this is the comment area for today's blog post found at:
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/04Mar07.htm
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Here's an idea for a new feature - a "Clear r/o attribute for target files" counterpart for ADS "Zone.Identifier". Instead of complaining that x2 cannot copy streams on a target (say, you copy from HDD to memory stick), it can simply strip "Z.I" stream off the file. The same thing is with running the files with this stream -- simply strip it off before running, if I set the option.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
Iain

Post by Iain »

I know you reject this idea on principle, but at least $20 would let you bypass that bullsh!t with a minimum of hassle.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the risk with such low cost certificates is that not all browsers will recognize them. Then you switch from a vague warning (program with no recognized publisher) to a much nastier one warning the poor user about "unrecognized certificate" which sounds even more worrying. So for older windows you lose people! That's the case even for the $200 comodo certificate. I wouldn't want to pay and see what extra problems the $20 cheapo one has :)