Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog article found at:
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/24Jun07.htm
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

It's time for losing folders

Post by RickyF »

I think tagging files is conceptually a superior method for organization and retrieval to the traditional hierarchical drive-directory-subdirectory-file system. That system is reminiscent of database technology prior to the invention of the relational database.

Tags allow for multiple connections which is closer to the messy way we remember stuff.

Unfortunately, Microsoft is still living in the stone ages of file systems for desktops.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

hey, that kind of talk would drive x2 out of business!

i have no experience with tagging but i can tell you from my experience from using google and desktop search equivalents, well, it doesn't work. You get a million results however you pick your search keywords (you call them tags). If you have a few files fine, but for a busy lifestyle you still need to know where approximately you have stored the information you are after so that you effectively reduce the search space. Ergo folders and x2 are still in business :)
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RickyF »

I'm sorry. I did not mean to throw any darts, even unintentional ones, at X2.

I agree that the current state of tagging is unacceptable and that desktop search, even Vista's, is also awful but...

A properly indexed DB returns results in moments, almost as fast as Google.

Furthermore, there is still a need to manage files on the computer and X2 excels at moving, copying, and a zillion other things beside search.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the xplorer2 demise as a result of your comment was a joke, no worries :)

since i don't use databases, and what you suggest could be interesting, can you give me an idea how a database query could be different to say a current google query on keywords?

the problem isn't speed, it is that you get too many results!
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Nice article, but I hope that you don't let people read it that are totally unknown with computers. Deleting folders you don't need. " What is that file called NTLDR? I don't need that one....." I hears someone saying that (ok, it was IBMIO.COM, but still).

Folder called "Documents and Settings"? A better name would be....

Some tools make ik too easy to shoot in you own foot.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

note to self
make sure to restrict lo-fi relatives to non-admin user accounts :)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Especially when they have had a few bottles of Vodka... :twisted:
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RickyF »

nikos wrote:since i don't use databases, and what you suggest could be interesting, can you give me an idea how a database query could be different to say a current google query on keywords?

the problem isn't speed, it is that you get too many results!
As in any search, the criteria you use both include and exclude information. The result is what is included. If the search criteria are inadequate than the results are either not very useful or useless.

I find that most people don't understand that search terms need to be finessed. Logical operators (e.g., and, or, not, nor) need to be thoughtfully used.

If you get too many results than refine the search. As you know computers are "stupid" they usually (not always) do what we ask, even when we don't understand the consequences of our request.

If you want to have some fun trying playing with Google's search operators:
use the tilde ~ to look for similar terms/words. For example "~red" will return other colors as well.
use the dash - before a term (with no space) to exclude an item. For example, append "-black" to the previous search to exclude black.

Searching is a bit of an art that takes much practice to truly learn and refine.