blog: keyboard accessibility

Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's article found at:
www.zabkat.com/blog/09Dec07.htm
KrippledHick

Some keyboard commands seem inappropriate

Post by KrippledHick »

Hello Team,

Finally paid for a working copy of the latest and greatest x2 - it's great to be back in full functionality.

My biggest complaint about x2s implementation of keyboard commands is how cycling through open tabs works.

I use Ctrl+Tab or Ctrl+Shift+Tab (to toggle backwards) frequently while I browse the web.  It works in every browser I've tried - and with so much browsing and multi-tabbing it's become second nature.

Unfortunately this is not how it's done in X2.  I did read the manual and understand (and appreciate) the insightful idea to make it tab right and left in the same way you would play most PC video games using a keyboard -- Ctrl+Alt(Rt Arrow | Left Arrow).  

However, No matter how long I've done it; I continue to naturally reach for Ctrl+Tab when I want to  navigate to the next tab I need.  Forcing both hands to leave home row - seems unintuitive, cumbersome; and prone to more error (as well as keystrokes).  

Is there any way to customize this in the new version so I can make it cycle through tabs the way I want it too?

:?:  :arrow:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorry but the current key mapper control doesn't support combinations with the TAB key. This will be fixed in the future
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Who's silly idea was it to not allow Modifier+<Tab> keystrokes to be re-assigned?

For reference for the OP: If this does ever get fixed in Nikos' mystical future, you'll want to modify the Customise -> Keyboard -> (Category) "Miscellaneous" settings for 33038 and 33039 with <Ctrl> + <Tab> and <Ctrl> + <Shift> + <Tab> respectively.

In the mean-time, we can assign accelerator pins in Nikos' voodoo doll which may not have a practical effect, but it'll certainly make us feel better. :D

(And just for the record, I even tried doing this directly by manually modifying the accelerator resources - just for fun - and still couldn't get it to work.  Boo hiss.  On the plus side, I did manage to trigger the license-protection which necessitated a registry settings rewrite, so don't try that at home kids - stick to voodoo dolls.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Who's silly idea was it to not allow Modifier+<Tab> keystrokes to be re-assigned?
microsoft common controls of course!
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

The freeware program AutoHotkey often allows users to customize a program more to their own taste or habit.  For what it is worth, the following AutoHotkey script does the remap you want.

Code: Select all

#NoTrayIcon
#KeyHistory 0
SetBatchLines -1

#IfWinActive, ahk_class ATL:ExplorerFrame
    ^Tab::SendInput, ^!{Right}
    ^+Tab::SendInput, ^!{Left}
    #IfWinActive
I just tested this on my Win XP Pro SP3 system, with the Xplorer2 registry at its default starting state.  No detailed checking was done on this -- just the main X2 window and not scrap panes, and not quick viewers and so on in the main window.  I just wanted to check that the alt+tab and alt+shift+tab cold be trapped by AutoHotkey and resent to Xplorer2 successfully.  Additional refinement might be required to restrict the script's effect to just specific subpanes of X2.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

The downside being you always need an instance of that script running in the background for it to work... (not a big deal for most people these days, but it should always be noted when suggested as a solution) - many users are unfamiliar with those scripting tools and how they work, so without context, it can all look like gobbledegook to them. (Just a thought.) :D
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Kilmatead wrote:Tit can all look like gobbledegook to them. (Just a thought.) :D
I love gobbledegook. ˙ʞooƃǝpǝlqqoƃ ǝʌol ı

I added this to my Alt-Mouse Left Click script (which moves a window just by using the Alt-LeftMouse combination) Wonderful. Thanks for the script.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange