Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog article found at:
http://zabkat.com/blog/30Nov08-youtube-downloader.htm
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

You don't use Firefox?

Post by RickyF »

I am astonished to read that you don't use Firefox. Do you use Windows Explorer? No, you use xplorer² Professional.

Firefox is far superior to IE7 in its extensibility and usefulness. I urge you to reconsider your browser.
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

This trick can't be used in Firefox because nowhere in file names does flv appear. But their size is usually bigger than other files, so sorting by size will usually get there.
nikos wrote:ps. Dear father, RIP :(
Sorry, RIP from me.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so for firefox you have to search for files e.g. larger than 500KB in the cache and then sort the results by date. Also FLV files start by "FLV" so searching for contained text "FLV$01" will also grab them (albeit at much slower rate)

rickyF i use IE6 which is nice and lightweight. You don't do much with it other than click on links so even MS can manage that without annoying me :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ps could it be that WMP can play flv files after all? Has anyone tried this?
http://www.playflv.com/
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Here how to do it in Firefox

Post by pschroeter »

Firefox
(plus to download them)
DownloadHelper
http://www.downloadhelper.net/
(plus to play them)
FLV Player
http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

nikos wrote:ps could it be that WMP can play flv files after all? Has anyone tried this?
http://www.playflv.com/
Yes, as long as you have some codec installed. FFDShow is quite popular.
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: You don't use Firefox?

Post by wasker »

RickyF wrote:I am astonished to read that you don't use Firefox. Do you use Windows Explorer? No, you use xplorer² Professional.

Firefox is far superior to IE7 in its extensibility and usefulness. I urge you to reconsider your browser.
I use IE because it's much easier to use that FF. On the laptop I prefer GChrome, because it just blows everything speed-wise.

And BTW, IE is very much extensible piece of software.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

nikos wrote:rickyF i use IE6 which is nice and lightweight. You don't do much with it other than click on links so even MS can manage that without annoying me :)

Ahhahahahahahhaha!!!!!
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I am not (yet) an expert in this topic, but it seems some websites have streaming videos; so the video is not deposited first in the cache. The best example is SNL videos (from MSNBC website). If we search the cache, all we get is a small swf file called player (or something similar).

But the video does stop from time to time "to buffer", which means that it must be loading in the memory, at least in parts (if not whole).

Any idea how to grab those videos?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this MSNBC also uses flash player, so i bet the video is in the cache somewhere. Try searching without a particular wildcard (no *FLV) and instead add a rule for size >500KB and date <= 1 hour
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

narayan wrote:The best example is SNL videos (from MSNBC website).
Is this it?
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live//
I think is it's USA only.

The best free tools I can think of is Firefox + Flashgot or + Downloadhelper, or Orbit downloader. There are sharewares that claim to be better at grabbing, but it's a cat and mouse game, as nikos wrote.
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

If you like to save flash movies or other streams Orbitdownloader is indeed a very good (free) tool and DL-Manager, since it's component Grabit+ reveals a lot of the hidden links of the streams and lets it download.

If you're interested in Youtube only I'd recommend Free Download Manager which is an excellent opensource DL-Manager, integrates well with the browsers, can be used as a portable and also preserves titles and upload dates of the Youtube videos.

Downlading from Youtube has ever been only a right-click in the browser since for me.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

desslok,

yes, that's the site I am talking about.

BRX,

I have installed orbit, but never used it, because I used the other downloader addons for FF:

DownloadHelper

I also installed some more exotic-sounding FF addons but didn't get around to use-

Flash Video resources downloader
Fast video download
DownloadThemAll
MediaDownloader
Amazing Media Browser
Magic's video downloader

Some of these addons work through a website.
BTW the FDM cannot detect the youtube links with their titles (the actual name of the video at YouTube is always "getvideo"; so if you download multiple videos, FDM just puts a running suffix after them.

That's why I CTRL+CLick on the video's name from the DownloadHelper's popup list, which is caught automatically by FDM, with proper name.

Ideally DownloadHelper alone should be sufficient, because Youtube does allows a single thread in the download (and that too, non-resumable); so FDM cannot accelerate/resume the download. However, it can be set to restart the download in case of a stopped download, which is really helpful (you do not have to monitor the downloads).
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

@Narayan:

Maybe you've got other properties for FDM. I know for a fact that FDM saves the flv files with their title and not with "getdownload" or something.

Otherwise I wouldn't have written it.