Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at:
http://zabkat.com/blog/26Jul09-split-and-join-files.htm
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

I am constantly amazed by the feature set in X2 Pro

Post by RickyF »

I did not know about split/merge. Very handy. Thanks.
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

not really usable until some tuning is done

Post by Cosmo »

There are 2 problems with this feature inside x2:

Problem 1 does "only" appear, if there is no x2 on the other machine: You get a couple of splitted files and now the only way to merge them again is by entering a copy-command inside a command console. A very cumbersome approach, even more cumbersome, as you have to navigate the command console on the machine without x2 to the respective folder. The solution for this would be very easy: x2 could create during splitting a batch file with the needed copy command, this should be no problem, many splitting tools do this.

Problem 2 is there in any case with x2: All the properties of the original file get lost, not only, but especially the date of modifying. There are cases, where this information is crucial. Also this is a problem, that can get solved.

In fact, I use a little tool named Splitter light, which does both: It creates the batch file automatically and it is able to restore the original file with it's properties; for the last job the splitter-exe has to get copied together with the splitted files, Splitter Light does that automatically as an option and with 50 kb and no need for getting installed it works like a charm.

Of course x2 (even the lite version) cannot copy itself completely, but it could provide a merge utility (running without installing). The German file manager idoswin does this.

I think both solutions, the batch file and the merge utility, should not be any problem. Until then, the feature does exist in x2, but is is unusable for me, because this is mostly needed to transfer file to foreign computers. My own machines are connected via LAN, so there is no need th split anything.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the batch file could be an option for the future, good idea
jasperlotus

Post by jasperlotus »

Hmm, I have FFSJ installed and it's very fast on Split and Merge files.

And xplorer² is quite slow (the application seems to hang during merging). So, the speed should be improved, too.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you are working with huge files then a delay is to be expected. xplorer2 shows a progressbar on the statusbar so you can see how much time is left. As for being slow merging, can you substantiate your claims? Try both programs on the same file and tell us exactly how much time they took for the job
jasperlotus

Post by jasperlotus »

As with FFSJ (CPU 2.4GH, Dual Core, socket 478 -- 768MB DDR) the speed of merging 7 parts (each 100MB, the last part 68MB) is ~30 seconds.

With xplorer² (the same PC), take about 3 minutes or more, especially when Firefox is running, the computer becomes not-responding. This, never happens with FFSJ.

Also, do you have any idea about plugins in xplorer² (like FAR or total commander)? It much will improve the capabilities of xplorer².  :P
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this sounds very strange so I will look into it

as for plugins, xplorer2 is part of the shell namespace which is infinitely extensible without requiring reinventing the wheel with special plugin architectures. All the context menu extensions, namespace extensions, text filters and thumbnail viewers are automatically imported by xplorer2. Whatever "plugin" you may think you need, you are just a short google away
jasperlotus

Post by jasperlotus »

Oh, I don't want to talk about those system plugins (or shell extensions). On using them, we must first register them with the whole system and thus may cause conflicts, unstable and slow down the system (even crash).

Plugin here is that of xplorer² itself, for example, it can integrate its own commands into xplorer²'s menu, toolbar,...; supports batch jobs (script) and lots more.

For examples, I want to rename all items inside a folder so that all spaces will become underscores (I love you.mp3 -> I_love_you.mp3) or some converters, extractors, readers inside xplorer² or even a music player at the status bar...  :lol:

All of my wishes above are just want to help creating a more customizable, more extensible, more flexible xplorer²  :roll:
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

Not meaning to interupt jasperlotus' question by being annoyingly on-topic: Good point, Cosmo. I support the bat solution for file splitting/merging. I have been missing this feature in the past.
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

jasperlotus wrote:... or some converters, extractors, readers inside xplorer² or even a music player at the status bar...  :lol:
Why not a whole OS? :mrgreen:

If you want a music player, start it and minimize it. There is enough bloadware out there. If I want to read (in contrast to preview) a document, I open it. And so on ...

Note: The topic and the not satisfying solution at now show, that there is enough to do, which belongs to the file manager.
jasperlotus

Post by jasperlotus »

Does a `whole OS' have those utilities installed by default?

Those features are examples in my case and just for a more convenient way in processing files/folders without switching to other applications/tasks. Others may have a variety of need (such as access a Linux partition).

The main purpose of xplorer² is file/folder management, but how about manipulate files/folders without distracting from him?

About the bat file for merging: Some administrators disable the Command Prompt excution!
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

jasperlotus wrote:Does a `whole OS' have those utilities installed by default?
I do not understand. You wrote about plugins. And plugins are nothing, that is "installed by default".
And yes, your OS has a by default installed player (and some more); at least until Vista 2 (aka Windows 7) in Europe is out.
jasperlotus wrote:About the bat file for merging: Some administrators disable the Command Prompt excution!
In this case you cannot merge the splitted files anyway, with or without the BAT-file. Anyway, this is a decision of your company / administrator. Nevertheless on the very, very most systems the command console and BAT-files can be used.
jasperlotus

Post by jasperlotus »

A plugin/addon/utility is not installed by default on most system, such as a shell menu item for converting images from one to another format or listing content inside a .tar.gz file, etc.

I know about Windows Media Player, but how about my OGG and OGV formats? And some one with her/his MP4 collections.

Installation of softwares at work is NOT possible with me and my colleagues.

A poll on lifehacker, ``Five Best Alternative File Managers'' shows that guy with plugins/addons support is more popular (but not ease of use and pricey). People uses firefox rather than Safari because it has a huge repository of addons and plugins.

Let's face the fact and consider my suggestion! :d