Site Admin

blog: file attributes

Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog found at:
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/02Aug09-file-attributes.htm
mmelo

Re: blog: file attributes

Post by mmelo »

Cool post. For coders in particular, the touch function is priceless!

Speaking of attributes, this reminds me, the other day I enabled "color coding" to make the Hidden files to be slightly greyed-out and italic and the executables red and bold. After fluffing about until I got both panels to do it, the feature worked well.

HOWEVER, with this feature on and only 2 colouring rules, x2 got EXTREMELLY slow. I could be wrong about this and something else (like a major compilation going on) might be going on but I seriously doubt it, as I left it on for a while.

Going into a new directory would take ages to load the dir and the first time your scrolled files into view x2 would noticeably freeze. The directory did have nearly 500 src files and SVN overlays. I am running v. 1.7.2.6 [Unicode] on a fairly beefy quad-core Xeon.

Is there a well-known slowdown when this feature is enabled on certain situations?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: blog: file attributes

Post by Robert2 »

mmelo wrote:Cool post. For coders in particular, the touch function is priceless!

Speaking of attributes, this reminds me, the other day I enabled "color coding" to make the Hidden files to be slightly greyed-out and italic and the executables red and bold. After fluffing about until I got both panels to do it, the feature worked well.

HOWEVER, with this feature on and only 2 colouring rules, x2 got EXTREMELLY slow. I could be wrong about this and something else (like a major compilation going on) might be going on but I seriously doubt it, as I left it on for a while.

Going into a new directory would take ages to load the dir and the first time your scrolled files into view x2 would noticeably freeze. The directory did have nearly 500 src files and SVN overlays. I am running v. 1.7.2.6 [Unicode] on a fairly beefy quad-core Xeon.

Is there a well-known slowdown when this feature is enabled on certain situations?
Hi,
Same thing on my system (XP SP3). I had to refrain using the feature on folders containing many files, which makes it rather useless…
Cheers,
Robert
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

color coding got a lot quicker with the latest version, so try it again and let me know how it goes
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

When I do "check for updates" it says there are none. Are you sure the speed fix is in version 1.7.2.6?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

nikos wrote:color coding got a lot quicker with the latest version, so try it again and let me know how it goes
Hi Nikos,
I have installed version 1726 (Unicode). Color coding is now working fine. Xplorer² took only 4 seconds to color code 177 files.
Thanks for the tip. I had missed the update to version 1726.
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

Robert2 wrote:Xplorer² took only 4 seconds to color code 177 files.
Thanks for the tip. I had missed the update to version 1726.
Hmm.... I personally don't consider 4 secs for 177 files to be at all acceptable, I'm sorry to say. I re-enabled the colouring today and - while first loading the dir did not take as much time this time around - scrolling up and down on my 500 files dir chugs every time (not just the first time the file comes into view).

I have tried similar filters on UltraExplorer and FreeCommander and I see no such slowdown.

Could there be a bug in here somewhere, nikos?
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

I noticed that on 'some' networks, color coding slows it all down. I have this habit of browsing the file server on the right hand pane, and browsing the local computer on the left hand pane. In some network environments (like the one I'm working right now) I turn off the color coding for the right hand pane, for it sometimes takes 1 second for each file to display. And I never noticed that this file server is particularly slow in any other way.
I don't have this on every network environment, I think. I will pay attention to this, to see if I can find some pattern.
BTW: I'm on 1.7.2.2 (portable version), which might not be the latest version, but should be the same this respect as 1.7.2.6 according to the changes.txt.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

color coding can get slow depending on the rules used, how many of them and what they check. For my use the display is nearly instant and once a file is color coded then showing it again (with scrolling, no refresh!) is 0 effort.

are you sure you are comparing like-for-like things with these other programs?

whenever possible use stock columns for your rules and put the slowest rules last in the list
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

I went back and cut the rules down to executables only and it was still slow. Then I disabled the tortoisesvn overlays to make sure that it wasn't some sort of compound usage conflict and it was still slow.

So I went back to double-check the rule only to find that I had the "*.exe,*.com,*.bat,*.exe" rule on the Containing Text and not the Named.

Geeze what a dolt!! I'll get me coat...  :oops:

Sorry for the kerfuffle nikos.  :wink: