Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

xplorer2 v1.8 public beta

Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://zabkat.com/blog/25Oct09-new-xplorer2-beta.htm

In the end paid-for upgrades didn't happen so this can go public. Thanks for the beta testers that took part in the closed testing phase
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Is this only the 32-bit version of the beta

Post by RickyF »

I only see one link on the blog post. Am I correct to assume that is the 32-bit version.
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

Any differences between the first beta and the public one? So, does it make sense to "upgrade"? Or would we only find the already reported bugs?
MegaZapFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MegaZapFan »

Also, the link there appears to be for 1.7.2.20 not 1.8 ?
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side...
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I guess 1.8.0.0 will be the "final version" then.
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: xplorer2 v1.8 public beta

Post by wasker »

nikos wrote:here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://zabkat.com/blog/25Oct09-new-xplorer2-beta.htm

In the end paid-for upgrades didn't happen so this can go public. Thanks for the beta testers that took part in the closed testing phase
64-bit?
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Even without running the beta yet, couple of comments.

1. Confirmation window: please, please make the difference description in bold! That'll enhance the visibility of changes for good.

2. Confirm delete window layout a little bit confusing. What filter does? Does it remove *.tmp from the operation or it is being applied to only *.tmp? I think, given the destructive nature of the operation, there must be some description in filter block. Also I believe silent, keep window open and background operation options belong together. I'd better have Options -> Filter -> Behavior groups positioned from top to bottom. Another thing that must be done to the window is "You are about to..." label to be printed in bold -- again, this is a destructive operation and user must be properly aware of what's going on.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there are some bugfixes from the .19 and i spent a couple of days working with the registry settings editor

wasker, i mean come on, it's just a delete window, how many times have you seen one already?!

the "filter" part is simple: without a filter all selection is deleted, with filter only items matching the filter are deleted (eg tmp files within some folder structure)
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

nikos wrote:wasker, i mean come on, it's just a delete window, how many times have you seen one already?!
Am I the only one your customer? ;) C'mon, Nikos -- those are common sense suggestions.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Nikos, I gotta ask - if I have the 64 bit version installed, what will be the effect of installing a 32bit version - will both be usable?  If so I can easily test the 32bit version for bugs and enhancements....

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

both 32/64 bit versions can run side-by-side with the /P command line switch but they share the same registry key so your options may get a bit mixed up
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

With robust delete, how do I inhibit the "Confirm Deletetion" context menu when I use shift-delete, I have ticked the "slient confirmation, no reports " option but there is still this annoying extra step/context menu.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you mean the robust delete dialog itself? That can't be silenced and i believe it is for your own good!
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

yes indeed the robust delete dialog.

Whilst I do appreciate your concern about the well being of my files, surely you can give me the "ownership" of deleting files as I see fit, there's something condescending about confirmation dialogs which is distasteful. do you not trust me, do you think that I'm incapable of deciding whether I "really" want to delete said files, by using shift-delete I'm certain that I want that file deleted, do I really need another dialog box to confirm it...

I understand your concern and appreciate it.

If I'm uncertain I'll use plain vanilla "delete" and send the file to the recycle bin.

Thank you for your great support and a great product.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as deletion is catastrophic one day you'll be really glad that there is a line of defence for accidental deletions... alternatively you can disable robust deletion (see the advanced settings editor, global page) and do things as in the past