blog: website facelift, it could be you!

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

blog: website facelift, it could be you!

Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://zabkat.com/blog/13Dec09-website- ... ontest.htm
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I like zabkat.com as it is.  :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

Tuxman wrote:I like zabkat.com as it is.  :)
I have to disagree.  I love X², but if I was one of those people that cared about looks and style I'd probably have left years ago because of the website!  haha...

Honestly it's not that bad (albeit I still have trouble finding the stupid forum link...), but a face-lift is probably still a good idea to help attract some fresh customers.  Good Luck finding a web designer Nikos!
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Thracx wrote:one of those people that cared about looks and style
Who doesn't like the website would not like x² either.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:Who doesn't like the website would not like x² either.
Well, there's a logical fallacy if ever there was - you'd have to explain the reasoning of that to me.  Much like in architecture, one can easily identify "houses made in the 70's" (almost anywhere in the Western World there seems to be a "70's style" which, while functional, is not exactly applauded).

If websites existed in 70's, I'd have to say the Zabkat site could identify with that era - not unkindly, just ungainly.

There would be no real correlation to x2's "likability" and the website's current image.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

The website's look and feel perfectly fit x²'s IMO. A modern website would imply a modern x² look. And although I, personally, like it, many people prefer Directory Opus or XYplorer due to their "more modern" toolbars & stuff.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Interesting that your (IMO) opinion was not a humble one (IMHO) :wink:.

Did you perhaps miss the recent Looking Forward thread (which did, in all fairness go a bit off topic ["my bad", as they say]), pertaining to updating the "look" of certain aspects of x2?

x2 may not exactly feature any OTT Aero integration (much to the regret of some), but at least it no longer breathes and dies with the XP look and feel (which some still prefer).

Dopus is a little slicker, I'll grant you, but x2 isn't exactly standing still, but nor does it aspire to a pop level of "shiny" - and so it wouldn't hurt if the site at least hit the 80's, or so.  :D
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:Interesting that your (IMO) opinion was not a humble one (IMHO) :wink:.
Yep. 8)
Kilmatead wrote:Did you perhaps miss the recent Looking Forward thread (which did, in all fairness go a bit off topic ["my bad", as they say]), pertaining to updating the "look" of certain aspects of x2?
No, I also discussed there, but I like x² as it is... wouldn't have bought it else, right?
Kilmatead wrote:and so it wouldn't hurt if the site at least hit the 80's, or so.  :D
Good things will last.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:Good things will last.
The trouble with that argument from Zabkat's point of view (I surmise) is that it's impractical when a certain "look and feel" go out of fashion because then sales would decline - in essence, if someone visits the site the first impression is to wonder if the application is still supported (we've all seen sites like that).

Obviously, further investigation would reveal ongoing development, but many people never look beyond the superficial, and will jump ship before even bothering to try the product first.

You could argue that those are users nobody wants anyway, but that's not much of a business sense - and x2 lives and dies as a going commercial concern, however much we tree-hugging communists would wish otherwise.

(The second thing new users will wonder about the site is: "What's with the goofy Christmas-Tree .GIF?"  :shock:)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:to wonder if the application is still supported
Doesn't count here, as it is stated on the front page...
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:Doesn't count here, as it is stated on the front page...
Step out of yourself.

You're not placing yourself in the shoes of "common user Joe Public."  They usually wouldn't read the news section, even if it is directly in their face.  Stop being your normal intelligent x2-informed self and see the world from a lesser vantage. :wink:

It's like driving a car: it's not the bright knowledgeable drivers you have to pay attention to, it's the other ones who are the majority, and the threat.

Sometimes forgetting what one already knows gains one the wider perspective.  (Difficult to achieve, but a worthy experiment nonetheless.)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:It's like driving a car: it's not the bright knowledgeable drivers you have to pay attention to, it's the other ones who are the majority, and the threat.
In traffic, as on the internet, there is some sort of a common sense. The first thing interested users are looking for are screenshots, the second one are download buttons. The download section clearly states "still developed", so what?

Google doesn't change its look and feel either, but no-one thinks it is dead.
(A pity, actually.)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:In traffic, as on the internet, there is some sort of a common sense. The first thing interested users are looking for are screenshots, the second one are download buttons.
At the risk of insulting 99% of unregistered users, the most common interpretation of the internet's traffic is that it's usually considered to be the lowest common denominator.

I'm actually aware that I'm treading on thin ice here (for once), so before Fred slaps me, I might actually let you have the last word (for once) you tenacious fellow you.

(Incidentally, you're right about the screen-shots... hence my equally un-humble opinion regarding the Christmas Tree. :wink:)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:I might actually let you have the last word (for once) you tenacious fellow you.
Oh, thank you. :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

There's a hand gesture for that, but for the life of me I can't seem to remember what it is at the moment. :beer:

(SysOp, Idea: Add "surrender" emoticon.)