Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

roberta_p

Selects whole width of Name field (Win7) -How to change this

Post by roberta_p »

Good Day,

Please help.....

RE: xplorer² Professional 1.8.1.2 & 1.8.1.3
Usage mode: Dual Pane, & Details Pane Style.

I have been using xplorer2 Prof in Win XP Prof for a looong time...,
But now that I have started using it in Win 7 Prof I have found a Very annoying difference in its behaviour (after importing its settings from Win XP)...,
...namely that it selects the entire width of the Name field (& not just the actual width of the name(s)).

Is there any way of reversing this to its behaviour in Win XP?

Thank You Very Much,

Best Regards,
Roberta
Good Day from the Land Downunder.....
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

This is a Windows Theme issue - you are probably using the default Win 7 "Aero" theme (which highlights the field-width) - switch to Windows Classic or Windows Basic themes and the highlight will be as you remember.  (Just open the start menu and type "theme".)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I think there is a setting in the x2SettingsEditor that disables this...

in global check "Disable some Vista effects"
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Yup, that'll do it too (forgot about that one).  This option should probably be rephrased to "... some Aero Effects" for future reference...
roberta_p

Post by roberta_p »

FrizzleFry wrote:I think there is a setting in the x2SettingsEditor that disables this...

in global check "Disable some Vista effects"
Good Day FrizzleFry, & Kilmatead,

FrizzleFry's suggestion has resolved my issue, & I am VERY Grateful to him......

Thank You Very VERY Much,

Best Regards,
Roberta

PS:
Any idea what other Vista effects does it also disable?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

roberta_p wrote:Any idea what other Vista effects does it also disable?
As far as I know:
  • 1. Changes how the moused-over filename is highlighted (as noted in the Option label itself).  It must be said that this can have a deleterious effect if you happen to have a Colour Coding Rule set to the same colour of Blue as highlight uses - and worse - the colour-coding rule seems to supersede the underline (which ordinary highlighting gives you), so it can be impossible to see any highlight at all. :sad:

2. Removes the Transparency of "selected files" backgrounds, and makes them solid.

3. As in your issue, only highlights text in Names, not the whole column (applies to both Details and List views) - in List View this has the added benefit of allowing the "multi-selection Drag box" to function the way you would expect.

4. In the Folder Tree, if browsing between longer & and shorter foldernames, it stops the whole tree automatically sliding back and forth horizontally depending on what you're viewing.  Some people find this behaviour massively distracting, though MS assumed it would be more "helpful". :wink:

5. "May help" resolve some window painting issues (if you encounter any) which can arise depending on how well your PC handles Aero (the Aero theme causes Windows to use the Graphics Card for processing all Desktop effects, and this sometimes causes drivers to cough up blood).  For slower computers (laptops) not using Aero can speed things up a bit.
...can't think of anything else at the moment.  So, some pluses and some minuses - and then there are those of us who like the Aero effect, and so are willing to live with some awkwardness. :shrug:
roberta_p

Post by roberta_p »

Good Day Kilmatead,

Thank You Very Much for your Greatly Appreciated reply & information....

Best Regards,
Roberta