blog: start at the same folders every time

Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://zabkat.com/blog/01Jul11-starting-folders.htm
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

in your blog you wrote:... a common mistake many people make: don't use layouts (from Window menu) to force starting folders. It is not going to work. Layouts are meant to store window size and pane and toolbar arrangement. They will not remember the folders you were browsing at the time.
au contraire ...  I have always successfully used layouts to specify whole sets of starting folders (multiple tabs, both panes)   :D

The technique is, after you have all sizes/positions and tabs the way you want them and saved your layout, make sure to UNspecify the option for Save program state on exit and do Actions | Save settings now.  Now you can can start xplorer² in the same size/position and with the same sets of tabs every time by specifying your named layout with the command line option /S:layoutname.  

PS - I also use the command line argument /P to start x2 as a separate process so there is no accidental cross-pollination of settings between the given layout and other instances of x2 that I may run from time to time.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well there's always a way to open a beer bottle with a sock :)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

The important part is to launch the other layout using a user command (or from the command line) rather than using the layout button so that the current active folder does not get opened in the other x2 window.

Now where did that sock go...? :beer: