RSS aggregators, programs like Outlook
Lol what?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I use outlook for everything, including RSS. It's a kitchen sink kind of thing :)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

It does not have a text editor.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Strange reference to this article on the difference between degrees and radians. I have studied mathematics and the author is totally wrong, inconsistent and does not simplify radians at all. But it was fun reading.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
jazzcat

Post by jazzcat »

the author is totally wrong, inconsistent
Would you be able to justify this?
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

jazzcat wrote:
the author is totally wrong, inconsistent
Would you be able to justify this?
Are you serious? The fact the this person is defining radius as a distance (in text and in pictures)? While radius and degrees are exactly the same thing, only with a conversion factor which has pi in it.
Radians are only a logical choice because of the fact that the math is easier the using degrees. It has nothing to do with movement of an observed object compared with the movement (of the head) of an observer. That difference is idiot and adds nothing to the idea behind this.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

WimdeLange wrote:It has nothing to do with movement of an observed object compared with the movement (of the head) of an observer. That difference is idiot and adds nothing to the idea behind this.
Considering that the author is just trying to simplify the concept (for those of us who happily slept through maths in school), he had to take a different tact than saying "radians and degrees are the same" - because in the previous paragraph he pointed out that degrees were based on this arbitrary ball of exploding gasses with a perspective based on a "conceived" distance (which, incidentally, just got changed the other day).  If he said "radians and degrees are the same" after that, then his audience would surmise "that means radians are based on an arbitrary ball of exploding gasses too" - at which point you personally would either get really upset or start to giggle like a madman.

Thus he tried to describe what Distance could be perceived as, rather than what we consider it just is.  And, he kind of made a hash of it - but he does get points for trying something different. :shrug:

As an observation, people who "study things" yet lack the necessary psychological instability to see beyond what they were taught [sic] tend to get grumpy and entrenched when others simplify things into abstract parables.  (Which probably explains why that Jesus fella didn't try and change the world with parabolas, as his audience wouldn't have been impressed, not being mathematical Greeks obsessed with conical surfaces and Cartesian planes. :wink:)

[As my man Lobachevsky does another rotation in his coffin, and Euclid drinks a toast to the victor, - I just start to giggle as is my wont...]
jazzcat

Post by jazzcat »

radius and degrees are exactly the same thing
Hmm this is an interesting assertion, but is of course wrong. Perhaps you meant to say radians?
Radians are only...
Now you talk of radians, one could say this is inconsistent.
These are the two things you accuse the author of the article of!

Of course I am being slightly pedantic here, but in fairness even when I take your statement as saying the author defines radians as a distance, I think this is not even true. Reading the article again, the author quite clearly defines radians as arc length divided by radius. Perhaps the diagrams could have been better labelled but these are not definitions.

I didn't mean to start a flame war, but it looks like emotions and ego are already running high from your emotive reaction to my response (are you serious?) and your stated study of mathematics.

I just thought you were being unduly harsh to the article without any justification, and I do feel somewhat vindicated by your subsequent response, but I can see where this is going so I had better return to my normal mode of keeping my mouth shut as these things always end up going the same way...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Umm... seems to me that "arc length divided by radius" is distance, no?  But perhaps now I'm being pedantic?  :D

Cut the Dutchman some slack, as his language is far more interesting than ours, he's doing us a favour by bothering to lower himself into conversing in English at all - a few mixed up words do not an error-in-logic make. :wink:
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i cross referenced that article just for the 360 degrees in circle thingy. Can't vouch for rads and what have you
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:Can't vouch for rads and what have you...
If you're going to start a storm in a teacup, you gotta at least drink the tea, dude.  :wink:

And, just out of interest, isn't Outlook.com designed to move us curmudgeons into the cloud-era (which, of course, will never happen)?  Never mind that Office is now going subscription... or that they say Twitter killed the RSS feed (kids will be kids)... you sure your circles don't have 365 degrees in them, as they're apparently supposed to?  And how long can you keep using your no doubt very old copy of Outlook anyway...
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

I never had problems with my rss reader (KlipFolio Personal).

But, this was an interesting text :)