blog: delete confirmations

Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://zabkat.com/blog/delete-confirmations.htm
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Isn't this a horse that has been flogged to death....

But just in case it isn't dead.

I wouldn't be doing serious work on my pc with a wriggly child on my lap.
A cat can also walk across the key board and it also might just press "paws" or delete, and then also press "yes" to successfully delete a whole hard drive, heaven forbid that gremlins actually manage to wipe the hard drive clean whilst you sleep, my point is that a "are you sure" trap is insufficient to prevent data loss and is just an annoyance.

I like having the option of deselecting those nuisance "are you sure you want to delete" dialogs.

Mp3tag is a excellent example of user options for UI dialogs.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

dunno wrote:I like having the option of deselecting those nuisance "are you sure you want to delete" dialogs.
Indeed - "Nikos the Nanny" in more ways than one.  The Marquis de Sade did not celebrate guardrails - he celebrated the free will to jump directly over them into the happy doom of eve.  :wink:

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

At least Windows has a Recycle Bin. I will never understand how the *ix folks live without it. (Some of those desktop environments add one, at least.)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

True, but one could also postulate that the fallback-measure/safety-net of a recycling paradigm has actually degraded the progress of the deletion dialog design - it's fine if you are removing a single object, but even x2's "perma-delete" dialog is hopelessly inadequate for displaying exactly what you might be deleting.  Yes, it lists a couple of items, in really small print, and maybe you can read the path if you're lucky - but you really would have thought that someone would have designed an ergonomically useful one by now.

It's a conspiracy, really - rather like how even after a decade x2 can't seem to apply the idea of holding <Shift> while clicking the toolbar delete icon, which has been requested millions of times by millions of minions, and would coincide with expected convention of millions of users.  But - no.

And it's all the fault of the Recycling Bin.  Isn't this how James Bond Villains are born?  Surround a man with a bunch of spoilt pansy-arsed safety-nets, and he's like to get the idea that a healthy dose of syphilis would give the human race a little perspective on things.  Sure, we still have cancer, and leukaemia, and all sorts of diseases named after famous sporting personalities - but none of those have the same gruesomely poetic justice of a proper syphilitic decline into madness.

And now we can't even blindly delete, erase, kill, discombobulate, defenestrate, mangle, trash, or otherwise properly banjanx the photographs of all the hideously ugly people we know!  (And by Jaysus, we know some smokers!)

What's next, a warning on the robust copy-dialog that a potential side-effect of file duplication is wasting disc-space with the detritus of our meaningless human existence?  A crime against nature, so it is.

Bloody recycling bins.

They take all the fun out of life.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

You never accidentally deleted things in a UNIX server, right?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I did a lot of damage on a DEC PDP/VAX in my day, does that count?  You ever tried peering around the print-head of a decwriter to see if it printed "will" or "has been" before the phrase "Object(s) Deleted"?  Now that's living dangerously.

And cheer up - now that Germany's economy is heading in the same downward spiral as the rest of ours, you guys might need to learn how to relax and blow smoke rings in the face of the apocalypse.  It's a useful way to save your sanity.  No silly Unix server will ever help you learn that!
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:I did a lot of damage on a DEC PDP/VAX in my day, does that count?
Depends on its operating system.
Kilmatead wrote:And cheer up - now that Germany's economy is heading in the same downward spiral as the rest of ours
"Now"?

Well, at least we still have good beer to export.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:Depends on its operating system.
That would be VMS, back in the day 'twas the workhorse of any good VAXXEN swarm.  You kids and your "network servers".  Bah!  Wouldn't know a network if it came up and bit you in the posterior.
Tuxman wrote:Well, at least we still have good beer to export.
Again with the beer!  Surely you can come up with something else to complain about.  I mean, we export all sorts of weird things, like smelly peat-moss, girls with wonky eyes, and diabolical good will.  Come on man, I could lift up my skirt (?) and you'd still be unable to properly hit below the belt!
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:That would be VMS, back in the day 'twas the workhorse of any good VAXXEN swarm.
So: No UNIX then. See, we kids who rely on 30+ years old operating systems still can fight you old people when it comes to experience.

Too bad x² does not work on BSD.
Kilmatead wrote:I could lift up my skirt (?) and you'd still be unable to properly hit below the belt!
I think mentioning your "beer" is as deep as one can go.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Silly whipper-snapper.

The phrase "a server" is evocative of the older supplication form of "de-serving" - damn kids just take and take and take these days - with nary a clue about combining the humours of work from days of old. :cry:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

See, using UNIX requires more knowledge.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I grew up eating assembly mnemonics for breakfast, your "knowledge" consists of nothing more than archaically terse and unnecessarily abbreviated letter combinations.  Bah!  Bloody CLI cyphers from WinRAR are harder to comprehend.

Have you even been alive for 30 years yet?  I decided the other day that policemen, bus-drivers, and doctors (in that order) should never be younger than I am - it makes them so difficult to take seriously.  However, I have no problem with guileless geeks, youthful yobbo's, or grungy gothics existing in a delusional world and pretending to be grown-ups by playing with grown-up toys - so long as they don't drive anywhere near me when I'm waltzing along the footpath, sauntering my toes and crying my woes. :wink:

Just don't bother claiming anything you were taught in "school" as being knowledge - that's a factory designed to parley out-dated information to silly young people so they may feel empowered - in the real world, knowledge is earned the hard way, without answers in the "back of the book".  And if that means sticking a fork in the electricity outlet to see if the power's on, then that's what real men do.  No silly LED's on me, that's for sure.  <Grumble, grumble, snort.>  Bleedin' kids.  <Poofters, all.>

Harrumph!
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:I grew up eating assembly mnemonics for breakfast, your "knowledge" consists of nothing more than archaically terse and unnecessarily abbreviated letter combinations.  Bah!  Bloody CLI cyphers from WinRAR are harder to comprehend.
Yet the superior system has survived. Obviously easy to remember commands are not the most interesting part of an operating system.
Kilmatead wrote:Have you even been alive for 30 years yet?
Do I have to? I even use a wheel although I am not as old as a wheel.
Kilmatead wrote:Just don't bother claiming anything you were taught in "school" as being knowledge
Knowledge can be wrong. In the Third Reich many things were taught in schools too.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:I even use a wheel although I am not as old as a wheel.
It's a matter of having a perspective.  Young people don't have one any more socially formed than what they "think" is true.  Things like that can lead to them actually believing that 30 years is a long time.  It's not.  It's a heartbeat, a teardrop.  Nothing more.
Tuxman wrote:Knowledge can be wrong.
Information may be ill-supported, unverifiable, or misleading; Knowledge (epistemologically: logos) is never considered concrete enough (as it's more of a "belief") to have a right and a wrong in the traditional sense.  In the same sense as having a "misguided philosophy" is not the same as being "wrong" - even the term "misguided" must be taken literally to suggest its own "ill-behaved" nature, rather than conceiving of the world as having an overarching authority of right and wrong.  It doesn't work that way - information ("facts", "statistics", etc) - these are nothing more than opinions which adhere to a certain limited sphere of perspective and influence under space and time - they cannot, and should not, ever be taken as being fundamentally "true" or "false" no matter how many people may agree on them, or act under their perceptual demesnes.

Anyone can have an opinion.  But it's the heartbeat, the teardrop, that gives something calibre and authority - and that (thankfully) can't be quantified in your informationally overfilled world.  Schools as they are understood now, are just the last dregs of the industrial revolution dying an ill-behaved death in a bereft culture.  No knowledge to be found there, to be sure. :shrug: