blog: do it like aristotle

Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://zabkat.com/blog/firewood-price-comparison.htm
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Whilst it's nice to see the middle-classes aren't letting their educations go to waste, why is there always the plasticky-sheen of "I-Think-I'm-Roughing-It-But-I'm-Really-Not" abstracting their lives?  Speaking as a man who spends a great deal of his time actually cutting, chopping and burning wood (and, to a lesser extent, cutting, drying and burning turf Peat - yes kids, we still do this in Ireland), my whole life this time of year revolves around my wee wood burning stove, as I have no other source of heat (ruling out electrics, as that's just a ridiculous waste as everyone knows).

So, in my world (where the wood itself is not bought, it's prepared), there's a few extra calculations which get worked into the equation - such as the price of chainsaw blades (<x> needed per-season), the price of petrol and 2-stroke necessary for the maintenance and running of said chainsaws, the man-hours necessary in actually felling the appropriate trees, calories expended chopping/splitting/stacking the wood, all the alternate accoutrements needed for maintaining woodsman-saws, etc, trading off the storage-space needed to house and dry this year's unseasoned-fuel for next year - and so on and so on and so on.  Real life!  For example, most people have no conception of how long it takes for 1 person to effectively fell, haul, cut, split and stack a simple 50-foot conifer tree by hand.  (The answer is: "longer than the middle-classes think it would". :wink:)

What's even more fun is that here in the 18th-century I do all the work based on my estimations of the land-owner's wood-consumption levels, which is dependant upon everything from average nightly-temperatures to how much time they "might" spend away on the Riviera, thus saving me the effort of a few cords here or there.

So, while the middle-classes are all very proud of their scientific computations before picking up the phone to order this or that fuel-supply, I'd just like to raise the flag for the little-guy who actually does this shite!  He calculates the water-content of a piece of wood by actually holding it in his hand and experience tells him how long it will take by weight to season and dry before achieving practical burning potential.  He knows the humidity levels of the air by season because he can feel it in his bones, his knees, his skin - and that tells him how many daylight hours there are to trade-off in the constant search for firewood before Spring doth come.

So I'll see your white-collar Kilowatt-hours and linear-releationship graphs and all that highfalutin scientific mumbo-jumbo, and I'll raise you a proper axe in hand, and we'll see which of us survives the medieval landscapes of our Breugellian worlds!

(And no, I don't think "Breugellian" is a proper adjectification either, but the life in art should be allowed a few nuances here and there.  And no, I don't think "adjectification" is a real word either, but he who holds the sharpest axe gets to decide the grammar of day. :D)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

And before I forget, this is why people like Nikos grow up to be scientists - it makes the world a safer place for those of us who do real work. :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

chainsaw? i thought you were a real man!?

I have also switched to a wood stove, for no other reason than to raise the finger to the loan-shark-driven political scene and their stoopid petrol taxes. Apart from the minor inconvenience of bringing in (and occasionally splitting) the wood, it is great for heating and brings a cosy 19th century atmosphere to our house :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:chainsaw? i thought you were a real man!?
You ever tried to use a bushman's or a crosscut saw on anything over 8 inches?  There are some concessions I make to this 21st-century of yours, and this is one of them. :D

Besides, what do Greeks know about winter weather?  There was a reason your ancestors fought in skirts!  (And it wasn't because they were real tough-guys like Scotsmen, who are just freaks of nature when it comes to tolerating the cold.)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

See, you have money, they have Sun. Par game.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

We have money?  Where?  Let me guess, the Troika have been spamming you with propaganda again and you choose to believe it. :?  Apparently you missed Nikos' other blog on the way in (just replace Greece with Ireland and we're game)...
nikos wrote:...is going backwards in all sorts of departments thanks to the financial crisis and our "friends".
See the "friends" part in quotes?  That's called being sardonic.  Not just ironic or sarcastic, but sardonic.  (Which has less to do with sardines than you might initially think, though one's choice of tinned-food is, at least, one grace we're still allowed by the "friends".  See there?  I did it again!  This time, I even added a definite article ("the") which connotes a slightly "alienated" stressing of the distance between the literal and the familiar.)

I have no doubt that there's a similar term used in Deutsch (probably "lovingly" reserved for Russians) which would help you in forging an alliance between "friends". :wink:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I had some kind of classical education. I do know what sardonism is. But I also learned ancient Greek during my education period while I had to learn Gaelic on my own. Obviously, no one cares about the Irish.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:Obviously, no one cares about the Irish.
That's what gives us our charm! :D (And our innate ability to pick fights we couldn't possibly win with our neighbours throughout history - didn't you see Gangs of New York?)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

No, did I miss something of importance related to knowing you weird folks?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Our penchant for fistfighting with those who think we own them money!  :twisted:  :D
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Did you mean: Owe?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Um...  would you believe I was expressing my hip-with-the-youth-culture inarticulateness by using a pun on 'pwn'-age?  No?  I wouldn't either. :shrug:

(Can't blame a guy for trying.)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I would accept it as a political joke (as in "Greeks own money which they actually owe") though.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Which brings us (the long way round) back to the propaganda they feed you.  Nice to see you find it so tasty - it'll keep you happy when the tinned sardines run out.