blog: undelete via VSS

Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/undelete-fil ... -point.htm
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

So, um, let me get this straight - you've had your Win7 system since before you had your daughter and you've only gotten around to learning about these built-in (and somewhat unpredictable, and thus unreliable) solutions for the lower-classes now?  Have you been reciting your "if the Classic-Theme is active then nothing else has actually changed" mantra again?  :wink:

There's a reason people have been using far more professional solutions for years, without the rather vague notion as to "wondering" whether or not a previous version is still maintained by Windows (or, perhaps it was just one of those "oh, I guess the restore point didn't trigger when I thought it did" days).

And what's this thing about the Win8 version only working on Libraries?  I thought Libraries died through user-disregard... what good is backing up stuff that resides in a containment system that never really caught on?

As a last vaguely related notion, since most people don't remember to do registry backups at the same time as normal backups - I don't know if VSS allows for previous versions of the NTUSER.DAT registry files (such as the aforementioned "proper" image backup solutions would), but for those users who might wish to reclaim specific registry settings from the mists of time in an emergency (which may be pertinent to those resurrected files of theirs), they might find RegFileExport (from the ever-industrious lad at Nirsoft) a fantastic means of pulling keys out of previous backups on a granular level (as opposed to: "Now, exactly what does carpet-bombing with a restore point actually overwrite?").
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

yes, sorry einstein, these posts are for plain mortals, not for the MIT professors!

have you ever heard of the @GMT-xxx type of "filesystem" paths before? Because I accidentally stumbled on them just the other day
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

There's nothing rocket-sciencey about the VSS!  It's been in Windows for - what, 6 years now (Vista released in 2007)?  It's pedestrian by now, even for ostriches with their heads in the ground.   I was emphasising the irony that it's your actual job to know about these things - I'm just the gardener - I know about slugs and muck and stuff. :D

And no, I never paid much attention to @GMT embedded paths (most likely as I have restore points disabled!).   Much the same as I had never seen these PREFER flagged pre-embedded link paths in the wild before either - until one stuck his greasy hair in my face. :shrug:

The @GMT nomenclature makes sense though, no?  If Windows is recording object-contents by restore-point times, they have to be organised in some fashion for mass-retrieval.  And (even though technically useless to the end-user) they're a heck of a lot more user friendly than CLSID's to the uninitiated!
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

*climbs down from hammock to get away from the fresh smell of napalm*

I always enjoy a slug fest between professionals, it does however bring to mind that amongst mortals egos have always been more important than admitting to a error, until of course one is blatantly caught out in the lie, in my profession there was no point in lying as the end result would ALWAYS show the lie and the consequences could be dire.

* gets another scotch and returns to hammock with rain pouring down*

the R in Tropical stands for RAIN.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Who lied?  He is the professional and I am just the gardener!  I merely enjoy pointing out that Nikos has a short memory about the things he pretends he never investigated, and I have an unfortunately long memory for the sins of mankind in general (both are strangely similar punishments in the real world). :D

It's snowing where I am - where's that fall in the TROPICAL gamut?  Nothing worse than people who are 99% spoilt complaining about the 1% of misery they have to share with the rest of us.  And remember: the sea levels are rising - enjoy it while you can.  Our tractor engines will be our revenge upon all the hammock-swinging, scotch-sniffing grumpy complainers-about-a-bit-o'-rain of the world. :wink: