feature req: more top-level menus

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Promote Some of the SUB Menus, or No? (see post)

Yea, promote the Dual Bookmarks sub-menu to a top-level menu.
17%
Yea, promote "Dual" and the Customize items too.
33%
No, leave as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
50%

Total votes: 6

kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

feature req: more top-level menus

Post by kunkel321 »

I'm not sure if others will like this idea...  Maybe will add a poll...  
I've got a nice wide monitor and the Menu Bar in x2 uses less than half of it.  Also, I'm starting to get a collection of Dual Bookmarks.  It's a drag having to drill-down into the Bookmarks Menu to get to the Dual Bookmarks SUB-menu.  I'd love it if there was a top-level "Dual" menu item instead.  Frankly, I wouldn't mind if the Customize sub-menus were each a top-level item. (Not so much the Toolbars sub-menu, but the Columns, Folder Groups, Commands, and Grouping sub-menus.)  I suspect that most people's monitors would be large enough to accommodate this...  Just a thought.   :wink:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

<Sigh>.  So much work I put into it and no one uses it.  You of all people should have thought of this.

Simple solution: Download this, stick it in this and you get this:

Job done in 30 seconds or less. :shrug:
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Kilmatead wrote:Image
Can't help noticing some of the tool-bar buttons you got there.

To be honest, I did notice them a long time ago, but this seems to be the perfect opportunity to act unaware and ask you to give away some of your user commands. For example, I'd be curious of the BC command line parameters you're using...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Only the 3rd post in a thread and we're already off-topic.  I do hope Fred enjoyed sipping his coffee this morning. :wink:

The BC one is a little complex (and a little old - but it works - one of these days I'll rewrite it properly.  It's primarily intended for dual-pane use (preserving orientation when BC opens), but could work for single as well.

You might need to modify the "const BComp =" (line 12) as needed.

Copy the following and save it as Compare_Handler.VBS:

Code: Select all

' User Command: > wscript Compare_Handler.vbs "$L" "$R" $A $$ "$G"
'
' Logic:
'	If no files are selected the paths of each pane are compared
'	If 2 items are selected, they are compared to each other
'		Both can be in the same pane or one item highlighted in each pane*
'
'	* Left/Right orientation is preserved, irrespective of active pane when invoked, so BCompare displays same :)
'	   If both panes show the same folder, there's no way to know which was which, so Left/Right is bad fudge :(
'

const BComp = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe"

Delim = -1
for i = 0 to Wscript.Arguments.Count - 1													' Find $ Delimiter Position
	if Wscript.Arguments(i) = "$" then Delim = i
next

Select Case Delim
	Case 2																											' No Selections
		if (Wscript.Arguments(0) = "::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}") _
			or (Wscript.Arguments(1) = "::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}") then
			wscript.echo "Cannot Compare 'Computer' CLSID"
			wscript.quit
		end if

oCompare Wscript.Arguments(0), Wscript.Arguments(1)					' Compare both panes

Case 3																											' Compare 1 selection from each pane
		matchRight = InStr(Wscript.Arguments(2), Wscript.Arguments(1))

if (Wscript.Arguments.Count < 5) then												' Only 1 Argument:
			wscript.echo "Nothing to Compare to (Missing Argument)"
			wscript.quit
		end if

if (matchRight) then 			 																' Swap to preserve Left/Right
			oCompare Wscript.Arguments(4), Wscript.Arguments(2)
		else
			oCompare Wscript.Arguments(2), Wscript.Arguments(4)
		end if

Case else																									' Compare 2 selections from active pane
		oCompare Wscript.Arguments(2), Wscript.Arguments(3)
end select

' ----------------------------------------------------------

const Quote = """"

sub oCompare (Str1, Str2)
	' Dim objFSO : Set objFSO = CreateObject( "Scripting.FileSystemObject" )

'if objFSO.FileExists(Str1) <> objFSO.FileExists(Str2) then						' Simple Error Check ** Disabled **
	'	msgbox "Unable to Compare Formats", vbSystemModal + vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "Compare Handler"
	'	wscript.quit
	'else
		Dim objShell : Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

objShell.Run Quote + BComp + Quote + " " + Quote + Str1 + Quote + " " + Quote + Str2 + Quote, 1, False
	'end if

Set objShell = Nothing	
end sub
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Kilmatead wrote:Only the 3rd post in a thread and we're already off-topic.
That's on you for giving the solution in the 2nd post :D
Kilmatead wrote:The BC one is a little complex (and a little old - but it works - one of these days I'll rewrite it properly.  It's primarily intended for dual-pane use (preserving orientation when BC opens), but could work for single as well.
Excellent addition to my user commands tool-bar (which pretty much is 100% your applications :D). Until finding a better way of showing my appreciation, thank you!

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Your drive bar seems to be suffering some terrible disease of "My BIOS drive controller can't count that high, are all these really necessary?" :wink:

Yes, I know you're allergic to the Delete button and all that, but ye gods man, the universe is finite after all - leave some room for the rest of us.
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Kilmatead wrote:You might need to modify the "const BComp =" (line 12) as needed.
There was no need for that. I have BC installed to the default directory (on a 64-bit Windows). Put the script to a quick run... and considering how much I enjoy using BeyonCompare, this script is a gem.

Regarding the way it choses sides when two panels are used, it seems that the folder selected in the active pane always goes to the right in BC. Knowing that can be to the users advantage as BC folder positioning can be easily controlled just by focusing the desired panel before launching the script.
Kilmatead wrote:Yes, I know you're allergic to the Delete button and all that, but ye gods man, the universe is finite after all - leave some room for the rest of us.
While you're correct about me being a hoarder, the drive toolbar is quite relaxed- M, N, O and Y are still free.

Once described, it starts to make sense: C to H are 3 internal HDDs (I resisted the temptation of creating single 1.5TB partitions), I to K are physical and virtual DVD units, L and the missing M are 1GB RAM-Disks, missing N and O are the external TB drives, P and Q are the USB sticks/cards, lonely R's a grab and run external disk, S and T are the laptop's shared drive, W to X are the other computer's shared drives, Y's slot is reserved for the primary backup HDD which connects through a docking station and Z is actually and Intel SSD that just keeps begging for attention since July...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

IneedHelp wrote:Regarding the way it choses sides when two panels are used, it seems that the folder selected in the active pane always goes to the right in BC.
Umm... no it doesn't - the whole point of the script is that it echoes the positions of x2 - the active pane is irrelevant.  If you select one folder on the left and one on the right, they are sent to BC in that order, regardless of the active pane (this is intentionally done to nullify which folder in which pane you select first).  If this isn't working for you, then possibly some settings in BC are different from mine, but I don't recall changing them that much.  :?
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

I didn't change any program options that could affect BC's folder positioning behavior as well, but I'm sure that for me the script works as I previously described. From my point of view it's a bonus because I can dynamically get to set folder position in BC regardless of the panes they're part of. And while there is a Swap Sides button in BC, there's no need for it because folder positioning is predictable with the script. Would've been a bit disorienting in case of random positioning, but that's not what it happens.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Well... if you insist it works that way, then it's a bug - if I can't recreate it, I can't fix it.  The logic of the script is pretty straightforward: you should only select either one element in each pane to compare them, or no elements of either pane to compare the panes themselves.  If two elements are selected in a single pane (the active one) then they are compared (first item on left in BC / second item on right in BC) and the other pane's contents are ignored.

If you're using x2 in "single pane mode" as one of your other posts suggest, this might explain it.  I never use single pane, except in the recycle bin (to show full paths). :shrug:
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Kilmatead wrote:If you're using x2 in "single pane mode" as one of your other posts suggest, this might explain it.  I never use single pane, except in the recycle bin (to show full paths). :shrug:
I do use single pane mode most of the time, but I checked the script with two panes in a window. This script gives me an extra reason to use the 2nd pane, even if the damn prick can't remember displaying grouped items after being toggled off and on. Either way, this is a genuine example of this bug is actually a feature. :D
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

x2 has emotional problems (as you noticed) when toggling between single and double pane modes.  If you were to restart x2 with dual-panes active in the first place (no toggling) it might behave differently.

(You should see what happens when you toggle translations on and off - ugh - it can't decide what resources to use.  :x
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Kilmatead wrote:x2 has emotional problems (as you noticed) when toggling between single and double pane modes.  If you were to restart x2 with dual-panes active in the first place (no toggling) it might behave differently.
No shaman can cure this illness. It requires the accurate touch of a Greek doctor.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Yippie I did!  Your Resource Updater is very cool indeed, Kilmatead!  Thanks for your work on this.  I will now spend the day tweaking x2 till my heart's content.   :wink:  :P
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I added User commands to the x2 main menu... very nice... of course now I'm going to really feel the urge to rearrange my user commands... toolbar shuffle, here I come!