1.3.0.2 LITE "forgets" bookmarks!?

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jschall

1.3.0.2 LITE "forgets" bookmarks!?

Post by jschall »

One of the features I love about x2 is its Bookmarks. I add bookmarks for all the folders I frequently use - up to 10 folders.

BUT after a while - a few days or so, x2 only shows 4 or 5 of my bookmarks - it's  "forgotten" the rest.

What are the limits on the number of bookmarks in x2 Pro and Lite versions?

- Jeff
Jeff Schallenberg
Saint Lambert, Québec
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

both lite/pro have 99 bookmarks and shouldn't forget them!
do you have save settings on exit option on?
jschall

Post by jschall »

If you mean:

"Program Options [Default]/General Options/Save Program State On Exit"

Yes, it's checked.

Yesterday, I had entered 5 bookmark folders. This morning only 3 are left :-(

- Jeff
Jeff Schallenberg
Saint Lambert, Québec
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you closing x2 before shutting down?
despite my efforts to "save settings on shutdown" the process is unreliable
try setting a few bookmarks & quit/restart x2; you should find them all there!
plutchok

Disappearing bookmarks

Post by plutchok »

I have used xplorer2 lite and lately, xplorer2 pro (since my review in my blog, http://jonathanstoolbar.blogspot.com). In both, every now and then some or all of my saved bookmarks disappear. It just happened again. Why does this happen? Can it be prevented? Can I recover my lost bookmarks? (BTW, I have "save program state on exit" checked, and I learned long ago to close xplorer2 before shutting down Windows.)
--Jonathan Plutchok
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there could be a number of ways this could happen, e.g. inadvertent uninstall, manual removal of registry key, running a REG file that overwrites the settings...

is it just the bookmarks that get lost or other settings too?

open regedit and locate the registry key:
HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2_UC.global\Favorites

are there more folders listed there than those that show up within xplorer2 GUI?

finally, the best security against such mishaps is to use Actions | Export settings to create a "backup" of your favorites in a .REG file. If in the future your settings mysteriously disappear, you can double-click on this file to restore them
plutchok

Disappearing bookmarks

Post by plutchok »

Thanks very much for your prompt reply, Nikos. In answer to your questions: Only the bookmarks (in fact, most but not all of them) disappeared. I didn't uninstall anything or do anything in the Registry.

The Registry key you pointed me to shows the newly shortened list that I now see in xplorer2 pro. However, I see that some other nearby keys (...\xplorer2\Favorites and ...\xplorer2.global\Favorites) seem to contain some of my old bookmarks. Can I drag these into the ...\xplorer2_UC.global\Favorites?

Thanks for the advice on future recovery. After I've rebuilt my bookmarks, I certainly will export my settings as insurance.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

note that pro and lite versions keep bookmarks separately there's no automatic import

any ideas what could have triggered this settings loss? were you reorganizing bookmarks perhaps?

to salvage your old bookmarks do the following:

* using regedit extract all the bookmarks you can find (right click on the various "Favorites" keys and pick export). Give a unique name to each REG file

* using editor2 open all these REG files and merge them (don't import duplicate bookmarks) and headings

the final REG file should look like:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2_UC.global\Favorites]
"00_mark"="some folder"
"01_paros"="other folder"

(bookmarks from other REG file)

"00_other"="c:\some folder"
"01_dir"="d:\other folder"
before you save the overall REG file you have to make sure the leading ordinal numbers are consecutive, so e.g. you'll have to rename the third line from 00_other to 02_other. Also note that the numbers are in hexadecimal so 09 is followed by 0a, and next to 0f is 10  :shock:

wasker has promised that in the future he'll look for a way to extend the registry settings editor for such list management
plutchok

Post by plutchok »

Thanks very much again, Nikos, for your detailed explanation.

The bookmarks were gone when I started xplorer2 this morning. I didn't fool around with anything, I promise. :-) This has happened a few times in the several years I've been happily using your program.

I'll think about what to do. I suspect it might be easier and faster to just recreate the missing bookmarks (maybe about 15 in all) than to mess with the Registry. And then I'll export!

Your help is very much appreciated.