Suppress confirm deletion

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

ShaS

Suppress confirm deletion

Post by ShaS »

When I hit DEL on a file in a folder pane, I get a confirm deletion dialog.  Is there a way to suppress it?

I did browse the manual but missed seeing anything about it.

Thanks!

Sha
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

imho this is a good last chance safety measure but if you want it off then use the recycle bin's properties to stop these warnings
ShaS

Post by ShaS »

Thanks.  I do have that unchecked.

The dialog pops up only on a network drive.  Must be a network setting.

Regards,

Sha
shornby

Post by shornby »

This is not a network setting, as network shares can only enforce NTFS/share permissions (so you would simply be blocked from deleting).

I've seen this too, and I have changed the setting in the recycle bin.  Network shares are different, though, as deletes occur immediately.

It would appear that Xplorer2 is treating a network share-based file delete like a local "delete immediately" (Shift+Delete) - the results are the same.

While this is a good safety precaution, I'd like to be able to turn it off.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

-Steve
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

everything that cannot go to the recycle bin is handled by the new robust delete function. This always pops a last chance warning, as the deletion is irrecoverable. There is no way to turn this off. What you can do is disable robust deletion altogether and get back to windows deletion:

ScottWall
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ScottWall »

There is no way to turn this off. What you can do is disable robust deletion altogether and get back to windows deletion
But we don't like windows deletion. This is why we requested robust deletion. To go back to windows deletion seems like sacrilege to all of your efforts to get robust deletion working.

Why not just add a setting that would disable the confirmation? You can add all kinds of warnings to disabling the confirmation, if it makes you more comfortable.

I would very much like to disable this warning confirmation as it does me no good, because I am becoming conditioned like Pavlov's dogs to close it whenever I see it.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

What about drag-n-dropping fron an open (but not maximized) folder onto the Recycle Bin icon of the desktop?  This circumvents the 'delete confirmation' --yes?
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

ScottWall wrote:But we don't like windows deletion.
First question: Who us "we"?

Second question: Why do you not like it? Anything like "I do not like yellow color" or any technical reason?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

A simple, if rather dagerous way of doing this is simply to create a small script such as:

Code: Select all

set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.SendKeys "+{DEL}{ENTER}"
Save it as Kill.vbs and invoke it as a user command, preferably from a toolbar button labeled "Don't Press This".

Why anyone would want to do this, I have no idea, but it'll work. AHK could also be used, for those enjoying such a milieu.

:shrug: Ours is not to reason why.
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

Sorry for not getting the point here.

As far as I know, there never was a way to delete files (note: I write 'delete', not 'recycle') without some extra dialog for confirmation. (Please reveal my ignorance if I'm wrong here.) It's just that now deletion has been extended with some extra fun stuf in Robust Deletion. That's good.

If you want to get rid of file without confirmation, you should use the recycler, which for this purpose should be set in the non-confirmation mode. You can still do this in X2, of course, but X2 offers no Robust variant of the recycler.
Thinking it over a bit, I'd have to say that Robust Deletion is not lacking a non-confirmation mode for Robust Deletion, but it is lacking a Robust Recycler (which would then have a non-confirmation mode).
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

What is the advantage of x2's robust deletion as compared to just regular Windows deletion?
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

:oops:
Alright, I'm ignorant (let me say it before anyone else does it). The non-confirmation mode of the recycler works for deletion as well. Sigh, there goes my argument.

Well, I still like the idea of Robust Recycling (I just can't be bothered about the non-confirmation part, to be honest :wink: ).
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

FrizzleFry wrote:What is the advantage of x2's robust deletion as compared to just regular Windows deletion?
For me that would be the possibility to use filter settings, or the thing that you can get a log of (non-) deleted files. To me, the advantage is not so big, as I use the recycler more often.
ScottWall
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ScottWall »

FrizzleFry wrote:What is the advantage of x2's robust deletion as compared to just regular Windows deletion?
Any failures during deletion result in the operation being aborted, leaving a bunch of the files undeleted. The user needs to reselect the files, omitting the offending file and then delete them again. This process needs to be repeated until all files are deleted. This, I believe, is annoying and undesirable behaviour.
Cosmo wrote:First question: Who us "we"?
There was a poll for new features a while back and many people selected robust deleting as a feature that they would like to see implemented.
Cosmo wrote:Second question: Why do you not like it? Anything like "I do not like yellow color" or any technical reason?
see above
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

ScottWall wrote:
Cosmo wrote:Second question: Why do you not like it? Anything like "I do not like yellow color" or any technical reason?
see above
What supposedly leads to this:
ScottWall wrote:Any failures during deletion result in the operation being aborted, leaving a bunch of the files undeleted. The user needs to reselect the files, omitting the offending file and then delete them again. This process needs to be repeated until all files are deleted. This, I believe, is annoying and undesirable behaviour.
If I have the choice, either to repeat the deletion in such cases (to be honest: I hardly ever come into such a situation, because I carefully inspect, what I delete, leading to the result, that I do not even try to delete opened files) or to loose files, because I erroneously delete something, which cannot be recovered from the bin (a configuration, where especially careful inspection of the deleted files / folders is strongly advisable), I would never ever use robust delete. Robust delete (without using the bin) without confirmation dialog is an absolute no-go for me. :evil:

So my opinion for the request is: Never, it is disastrously.