Filter Rule and Folder Display

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

matelot

Filter Rule and Folder Display

Post by matelot »

Is this filter setting supposed to show ONLY .xlsx files AND ANY FOLDERS ?

The problem is I don't see the folders

MY CONFIGURATION:
WINVER: 6.1-7600 (win7) x64
X2 Version: 2.0.0.1 [Unicode] x64
4.4.0.1 x64 5/3/2020
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Filter Rule and Folder Display

Post by Kilmatead »

matelot wrote:Is this filter setting supposed to show ONLY .xlsx files AND ANY FOLDERS?  The problem is I don't see the folders
You know, to be completely honest, I can't explain the logic of how the "Named" bar entries actually interact with rules - sometimes they seem to override everything, and sometimes they seem to just ignore logic, regardless of scope.  It works fine for quick entries where everything is to match names by themselves, but it goes off the rails for more complex ideas.

The best course of action is to always start tabula rasa and use only "extra" rule definitions - especially in this case where you want to see only certain files, but all folders:

You need two logical "OR" rules - one with the 'Name' column matching ".xlsx", and another to match all folders regardless of their names...

Leaving the "Named:" field blank, and the Files & Folders boxes both ticked, assumes we want to match ALL objects to start with, then we whittle them down to what we actually want with our additional rule sets.

The part I can't explain, is why something like the following (with the Named field set to *.xlsx plus an OR rule for all folders) does NOT actually work, when realistically it should:

:?:

[Note: I have changed my "additional rule" icons to match the C language logical conventions of "&&" for AND, "||" for OR, and "!" for NOT, as they are more logical at first glance to me than the crappy vanilla ones - so the screenshots above may not match your own rule-set icons.  The important thing to remember is that both rules must be set as logical-OR.]

Like I said, this issue doesn't keep me awake at night as I never use the first field, and only ever rely upon explicit AND/OR/NOT logical rules instead.

Perhaps Nikos could explain how he imagines the logic is actually implemented, as Artistotle would tend to agree more with me than with Nikos in this instance, which is an interesting cultural development if nothing else. :wink:  :shrug:
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2012 May 27, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the simplest solution would be to type "*.xlsx" in the addressbar, which will then show all folders too
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Well yes, but you can't do anything very complex with that.  And besides, which part of
Perhaps Nikos could explain how he imagines the logic is actually implemented
wasn't a clear question/kick-up-the-backside?  Even the manual is a bit vague on this point about how visual filters are supposed to work when explicitly defined via <Alt-H>.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

matelot,
The reason no folders show in your example is that the check box for Folders in the upper right of the dialog box is not checked.
matelot

Post by matelot »

fgagnon wrote:matelot,
The reason no folders show in your example is that the check box for Folders in the upper right of the dialog box is not checked.
fgagnon, it makes NO difference - NO FOLDERS SHOWN.

I have been scratching my head at this issue for the past 8 months, i.e. I have tried to figure out.

Have you actually tried your suggestion ?
If you're on a version that works properly please let me know.
4.4.0.1 x64 5/3/2020
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

It works as expected for me (on XP using x2 v2.1.0.1 ULT).
Folders matching the rule show (or not) depending on whether the aforementioned box is checked.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

and, moving over to my w7 box where I have x2 v2.0.0.3 Unicode x64 installed, it works as expected there, too.
matelot

Post by matelot »

fgagnon wrote: Folders matching the rule show (or not) depending on whether the aforementioned box is checked.
I'm not sure what you mean and I don't want to guess.
My requirement is simple:
I just want FOLDERS to be shown REGARDLESS of whatever the rule is. Period.

Is that what your version does ?
4.4.0.1 x64 5/3/2020
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Any folder that does not match the rule(s) will not be shown.
Only items matching the rule(s) will be shown.
matelot

Post by matelot »

fgagnon wrote:Any folder that does not match the rule(s) will not be shown.
Only items matching the rule(s) will be shown.
well then your suggestions are utterly useless to me.
thanks anyway.

So....now we are back to the question :

Why oh why is it that UN-CHECKING that "Folders" box does not disable/suppress the "rule" on Folders.

REPEAT: I WANT TO SEE FOLDERS ALL THE TIME
Last edited by matelot on 2012 May 28, 02:46, edited 2 times in total.
4.4.0.1 x64 5/3/2020
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

My first reaction was "but that's not logical"; but it seems I missed the point while Kilmatead got it right away and explained how to do it in his first response, above.
Set two rules (both with Boolean "OR" context):
      > one to show all folders,
      > another to show files having the desired name pattern.
Important to leave the "named" field blank because that rule is applied before the "additional rules".

PS - I missed your Question re checking the Folders box.  When I test with the two-rules set as above, unchecking the Folders box hides the folders, while checking it shows them in view.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

either you do the complex rules as kilmatead recommended, or you do the simple addressbar wildcard I said. If your rule is just a wildcard you don't have to go into the complex rules menu