Reading subfolders... (ESC to abort)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

chalkywhite

Reading subfolders... (ESC to abort)

Post by chalkywhite »

Since version 4.1.0.1 xplorer2 has been freezing for [upto] several minutes when clicking on a bookmark with the message "Reading subfolders... (ESC to abort)" displayed in the statusbar. Unfortunately pressing ESC has no effect (other than adding 'not responding' to the title bar) and I usually end up end-tasking it. Double clicking a directory in the Folders treeview also results in a several-second long pause - although nowhere near a long as when clicking a bookmark. Updating to 4.2.0.1 has made no difference. This never used to happen - is there a setting somewhere which has changed or can be altered to prevent this from happening? The current behaviour has rendered the program virtually unusable due to having to wait so long whenever navigating a directory tree.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reading subfolders... (ESC to abort)

Post by nikos »

what's special about this bookmark folder? Check its location, or what kind of file details you request to be shown. For more information see
www.zabkat.com/blog/why-is-xplorer2-slow.htm
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

There's nothing special about any of my bookmarks - they have not changed since I set them up over 2 years ago when I first bought xplorer2.

Everything was fine until 4.1.0.1 - then the 'freeze' occured every time I clicked in an icon on the bookmark toolbar. Version 4.2.0.1 does the same - and both versions have a several second freeze whenever I select a directory from the folder tree or double click one in a pane. Sadly this has rendered xplorer virtually unusable.

I will try reverting to an earlier release. It's always possible that Win10 has done something to cause this effect - though if I'm the only one with the problem I'm guessing this is unlikely.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there are older versions available here: www.zabkat.com/alldown.htm although I doubt that I added anything for v4.1 to affect this
you can also try this tool while xplorer2 is stuck, it's quite easy with version 4.x (just run another x2 while the first is stuck)
www.zabkat.com/blog/procdump-debug-hung-processes.htm

did you check the blog post about common slow-down issues?
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

I did check the blog - yes - but nothing on there is likely to help as I haven't done anything (except for software updates) to the setup since installing it 2 years ago and it has been working flawlessly until recently. I have now gone back to 4.0.0.1 and this has made no difference (as you predicted) either.

I am convinced this negative performance change is curtesy of something Microsoft has done. Unfortunately it means I can no longer use xplorer2, which is a real shame as I love it. Ho hum. Thanks anyway.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try to send me the stuck minidump file, it isn't very hard and it will tell me where it's getting stuck
www.zabkat.com/blog/procdump-debug-hung-processes.htm

also a plain snapshot of your xplorer2 window can give me an idea

is the problem only with bookmarked folders? What if you select a random folder from the tree? Is it also slow?
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

I think I have identified the culprit: if I deselect "Calculate subfolders size automatically" in advanced options, the problem goes away. The strange thing is that this option has been selected from day 1 and has not been an issue until recently.

Although the solution requires me to manually CTRL+D when required, this is an acceptable annoyance if it means I can continue using your software.
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

The same problem applies to the Ctrl-D command though if you use it for a folder in the root folder of nowaday's big harddisks with lots of subfolders and files.

I often only need the size of one or a few folders (automatical calculation disabled), but have to wait quite a time for x2 to finish the whole calculation before I can repeat it in another folder or pane.

I think I requested this also a long time ago but want to bring it up.

I'd like the calculation of the subfolders to be escapable (maybe similar how you can quit the creation of hardlinks in the status line).
Also I propose that the Ctrl-D command only works of all folders in the pane if either no folder or all folders are selected. Otherwise it should work only for the selected folders (and stop).

I noticed x2 calculates the sizes of the selected folders first anyway so maybe that's not that big a chance anyway.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 does abandon outstanding subfolder sizes when browsing a different folder, BUT the one it's working on at the time you change folder isn't abandoned. There's no easy way to do this

the simplest solution would be to clone a new window with CTRL+N and a new background thread will be created for all lengthy calculations
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

OK. Of course I can live with that (like so far). But isn't the idea to "size up" just the selected folders an improvement you'd consider to implement?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok i'll change ctrl+D to do only the selected folders
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Thank you for including that. I think it's a significant improvement in usability (at least for me, I hope for others, too).
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

nikos wrote: 2019 Nov 17, 06:17 ok i'll change ctrl+D to do only the selected folders
:(

Any change to get that (function) to all folders without selecting them? Shift+ctrl+D? :)

Ctrl+D is one of the most used commands myself. I could live with changing shortcut, but selecting folders is not fun at all, for me. :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you don't have any folders selected, ctrl+D will do all of them
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

Ok, that I know and I use it that way. I misunderstood that it will change somehow.