almost there!
updated the documentation and some small things we discussed
https://www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_se ... t_beta.exe
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: xplorer2 v.5.50.12 beta

Post by Gandolf »

The typing of more than 4 letters in quick succession is a PITA for touch typists. It drives me insane, not only in x² but other programs. It results in rubbish being typed and, even worse, can crash some programs.
Clearly, any program that uses it is designed for one finger typists!!

Well, I've read "changes.txt". "... This major release is all about appearences ..." sums it up for me. No point in upgrading.

P.S. It's appearances, not appearences. :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

future so bright I gotta wear shades 8)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you having any issues or recommendations with these beta versions?
I am thinking of wrapping it up shortly and release v6
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

The ratio of my recommendations-to-implementations is a wonder I have any self-confidence left at all. Having a thick skin allows for a certain aloofness and l'indifférence to worldly concerns; it's oddly relaxing.

Aside from the bug-fixes from .11, I haven't encountered anything of world-shattering importance, though I do recall you saying you'd add "silly new control recognition" to GETTEXT, which I don't think you did - or, at least - the evidence says record macro still thinks your options dialogue is in another dimension. How important that is to you, is the distance between Socrates and botany. It won't keep me awake at night.

All that being said, putting the word "(purposely)" in front of "pixelated icon" didn't fool your mum when you were 12 and it doesn't fool us either all these years later. :wink:
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Kilmatead wrote: 2024 May 18, 20:50 ... it doesn't fool us either ...
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time."
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did you try that macro sample I posted the other day, it does the state flipping for .12
as for the new minecraft style pixelation, beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

nikos wrote: 2024 May 19, 05:59... beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Get it out with Optrex! (Spike Milligan)

Yes, I did try the macro, not impressed!
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...it does the state flipping for .12
It does, though it's kind of a workaround to have the unsuspecting user need to reference an obscure beta thread to find this... if the recorder identified things properly, it would be more homogeneous. Do people who believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder also believe that GETITEMTEXT should return an integer?

I remembered why I had to flip it programmatically in any case - my version actually preserves the selections in both panes prior to the dual refresh, and restores them afterwards. Yours is, inevitably, destructive. :moon:

Actually, there's a question... is it possible for a 3rd party to execute a saved macro using menuhack or something? Or do I need to do it "the hard way"? (I'll admit I haven't actually tried mixing internal x2 macros with external scripting tools yet... having just thought of it now...)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can't have your cake and eat it!
and probably you are wrong because whichever way you flip the hidden attribute, the folder pane refreshes, which erases the selection
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:and probably you are wrong because whichever way you flip the hidden attribute, the folder pane refreshes, which erases the selection
Ah, but you see, in my own megalomaniacal control-freak fashion I use scripting to individually read the selection states of each entry (in each pane) before the refresh, then flip the hidden state (which refreshes both panes), then I scripturally restore the selections matching the filenames (again, in both panes) to not only have my cake but eat it as well. I like cake.

I have one for "safe" pane-swapping as well, because I'm nothing if not thorough, unlike some people.

I assign the whole thing to a toolbar button and hey presto, jingo-jango, selection-safe toggling for children of all ages!

That is, until you broke it by screwing up my BM_GETCHECK XOR flippiddy do-dah on the old-style checkbox!

And the movers and shakers of the world call it progress. We proletariat masses in the cheap-seats know better and we're gonna get you one day. Just you wait. We're gonna get the lot of ya. Every *#&%-ing one of ya (like the girl says in Pulp Fiction). :wink:

<Retreats to the shadows, sits, snarling, quietly brooding with a malevolent twinkle in his eye>
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

is that you Gandolf? :P

taking this out of this world scenario to its extreme and final conclusion, here's how to work around the problem
modify your script so that it uses the COMMAND that flips the hidden (not through options)
then you only need an extra command to refresh the inactive view before you reapply the selection
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...then you only need an extra command to refresh the inactive view
And don't I have to wrangle about tabbing across to the opposite pane before refreshing it and then tabbing back? Using the options-dialogue gives the two-pane refresh without faffing about with pots and pans.

There's no targeted refresh, is there?
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2024 May 19, 10:19, edited 2 times in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

probably not... use 32857 to tab next pane
ps. actually try sending it a refresh command directly, it should work without tabbing
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Yeah, see? That's where the pots and pans start clanging away like wind-chimes in an unfriendly breeze.

I did actually check if the 33163 refreshes both panes in .12 since you admitted it was "probably an oversight", but apparently you didn't think to fix that one.